Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Best Game for Teaching Poker to a Newbie

My next door neighbor has asked me and my fiancee to teach her the basics of poker andwe have commited to doing so. I was wondering what you thought was the best game for easily teaching the fundamentals to someone who knows absolutely nothing about the game. If she liked the game it would make sense to eventually teach her hold 'em and/or stud. However, I thought that it might be easier to explain the basics of the game by playing 5 card draw. There are only two betting rounds and you only have a 5 card hand to worry about (as opposed to the seven cards availableto you in hold 'em or stud). Again, this is someone who does not know the ranking of hands so I will need to start with that.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Colgin
Old 09-14-2004, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Best Game for Teaching Poker to a Newbie

yeah, make the game 5 card something, but i'd be tempted to say 5 card stud as the format is much more relevant to poker today (not many draw games still going, and holdem/7S both play in a "some cards faceup with a round of betting after each is revealed" kind of way.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:48 PM

I think it would be hard to teach poker with just the three of you. Invite some friends so that you have 6-8 people. Get a case of beer and make it a poker night. That way she'll be exposed to the whole package: the banter, the nuances of position, the slow-rolling, the angle shooting, the tilting, etc. If your neighbour enjoys herself, she'll be back for more, whether she wins or loses. As poker players, it's our mission to get as many people hooked as possible [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I agree that newbies often find 5-card draw the easiest to learn. However, if at any point you start losing in a game of newbies, just call omaha hi-lo 8 or better. They won't be able to figure it out before you get your money back [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 09-14-2004, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if at any point you start losing in a game of newbies, just call omaha hi-lo 8 or better. They won't be able to figure it out before you get your money back .

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be sure to remember this advice. Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2004, 05:01 PM

Here's a thought: how about a 5 card game where all the cards are dealt face up. There are still decisions to make, the decisions still have nuances (pot odds), and you can answer any questions and ask questions to determine the thought process.

From there you can move on to regular 5 card draw and then HE face up and then regular HE.

Just a crazy idea that popped into my head. My thought process is to remove the incomplete information part of the game to get a firm grasp of the mechanics and fundamentals, which will help once you move to the real games of incomplete information.

Also, it would probably be a good idea to have a calculator and paper handy the first few sessions to introduce her to the mathmatics of the game.

As an aside, I bet face up HE would be pretty fun. I think weak players would get utterly killed at it, much faster than the normal version.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:16 PM

Good thought. I had actually planned to "play" any game I chose face-up at first so I could exlain the play and tell her what I would do and why.

I think discussing odds, etc. is a bit premature. I need to get past "three of a kind beats two pair" first.

Thanks.
Colgin
Old 09-14-2004, 05:31 PM

Is she single? Cute? If yes, and yes, I'll teach her.

Seriously, though, I think HE is easier to start with. It's familiar because of the TV exposure and more of everyone's hand is known. I think the draw gives another, potentially confusing, decision point that is unnecessary for someone new.