Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 02:30 PM

Default 88, some over cards, and a river decision

Button is a tad strange. 70% vpip, loves to bluff-raise. Have yet to see him win a hand in an hour at the table since it's full of calling stations and they all call his bluffs.

SB is a calling station with over 90% vpip, calls with any draw or any piece of the board.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG folds.

River: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ........

What's your line?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: 88, some over cards, and a river decision

Does SB showdown every time he gets to the river? Assuming SB can fold on the river I would check since I'd hate getting raised by Button and it sounds likely from you description. If Button bets and SB calls I'd fold, if SB folds I'd call.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:43 PM

This is an intersting situation. You suggest that Button likes to bluff raise. If he could be counted on to do so fairly often, it might be worth betting to try to knock out a possible better hand from SB. However, you need to think you can beat MP1 often enough when he raises to make it pay off in the long run. The ace complicates things. He's more likely to represent it, but he's also more likely to have it. What will he see the river with on this board that you beat?

Checking is less than straight forward too. The problem is, if you check you might well get bet into by Button, which would often put you into the position of having to decide whether to overcall. This is not so bad if SB will only call down with something you beat, but if he'll call any piece you have a difficult decision to make. He's also much less likely to fold something you're behind to when faced with 1 bet rather than 2.

I think I bet. If it's not exactly +EV, it probably loses you the least when everything is factored into it. If it gets called by one or both, fine. You probably lose, but you never know. If Button raises and SB cold-calls, you can safely fold. If Button raises and SB folds, you call and hope he was bluffing the busted flush or something.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:13 AM

I think what did it for me on this hand is I can almost *guarantee* that button is going to bet if checked to, because he'll take a stab at this pot whether he missed or has a legitimate hand. I still think I have a great chance of having the best hand, but I really don't want to be raised, bluff or not. This will also give me an idea of where SB stands, as he'll fold a missed draw, but will call if he has anything, a pocket pair, or any pair on board. I checked, Button bet, SB FOLDED - this made my decision and I called. Button turned over a busted draw, and I took it down.