Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 12:03 PM

Default QQ with overcard on board

.25/.50 NL at The Gaming Club.

Hero ($56), UTG with QQ raises to 2.00. I get 2 callers, one in MP, one in LP ($60). Blinds fold.

Flop comes KJ2 rainbow. I don't like the flop, now that any King beats me. I plan to bet out and probably fold if a raise comes. (I way overplayed QQ a few days ago, costing me my whole stack)

Hero bets $6. MP folds, LP calls.

Turn: Q

Jackpot! (or is it?) AT now beats me, but I'm not drawing dead. I want to bet this hard, being ahead of any King now, and being behind exactly KK and AT (though I think KK would have raised at some point). I'm a little upset that I think I gave the AT odds to stick around on the flop, so that IS a likely possibility. Did I play the flop correctly? Should I have bet harder on the flop?

Results: <font color="white"> Hero bets $25. LP pushes all-in (for $50+). Hero calls the remaining $23 or so. River comes Q and Hero makes 4-of-a-kind Queens.
Villian has 22 and makes a Full house, 2s full of Qs.

Villian feels the need to berate me for catching the 4th queen, saying I needed it to win. I'm a little confused but don't care as I stack his chips.
</font>
Old 09-14-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: QQ with overcard on board

Serves him right for slow playing his set! Oh how I have learned NOT to do that!
Old 09-14-2004, 02:30 PM

Am I missing something? Why did you need the 4th queen to win? If the 4th queen doesn't come you have 3 Queens and he can't make a full house and only has 3 2's
Old 09-14-2004, 02:38 PM

He didn't! The other guy was pissed that his set was beat by another set then quads. He was just being a pennis.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:28 PM

how do you stack your chips online?
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

nice hand, yes, you must lead out here as most players will fold if they can't beat AK. the call should have you looking for a cheap showdown with. 1.5th pair and a set card that completes two straights (completes 9T as well). nice catch on the turn, river was, as you said, irrelevant.

fim
Old 09-14-2004, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you stack your chips online?
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like this: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[ QUOTE ]

nice hand, yes, you must lead out here as most players will fold if they can't beat AK. the call should have you looking for a cheap showdown with. 1.5th pair and a set card that completes two straights (completes 9T as well). nice catch on the turn, river was, as you said, irrelevant.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I missed the 9T straight, but I didn't think that'd be out there either (though I should learn to stop overestimating my opponents). Bottom line for me, 2 straights were out there.

Now, you're saying that I should be looking for a cheap showdown after the flop, but once the turn hits, I have a hand that can now beat a lot of hands that LP might have smooth-called with that he thinks is a winner. (KJ, KQ, JJ, 22, AK). However there's still the possibility of those 2 straights out there. I took the route of betting hard, then calling because of pot odds when he re-raised me all-in because even if I was behind, I still had outs to win the hand.

As it turns out, the river was irrelevant, though I didn't know it at the time. I was TRULY afraid of the straight, but had basically resigned myself to losing all my chips when the Queen fell. If the Queen hadn't fallen, I would have check-folded to any substantial bet on the turn.