Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 08:03 AM

Default carpal tunnel

Does anyone have any problems with their hands or wrists from lots of mouse use while playing online? Can someone recommend a good alternative to regular mouse?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:20 AM

Default Re: carpal tunnel

I use a trackball myself. The best thing for mice I have seen is this thing that supports the whole wrist. It moves around with the wrist as you move the mouse. Sorry I don't remeber the brand or name, I saw it in this overpriced ergonomics store called "Relax the Back" a few years ago. I meant to write it down and look for it on line because it was so damn comftorable to use. Maybe someone else will remember it.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:24 AM

My girlfriend just got diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The doctor seemed to think it was *nothing* to do with computer/mouse work. I am not entirely convinced (her CTS gets better when she is not using the computer), and you might find better information than my doctor by using google (anyone living in the UK will surely empathise with this.....)

However, the problem I have had in the past (and you may be having) is with repetitive strain injury. I got mild RSI writing my PhD, and the gel pads for mice/keyboard helped alot. For CTS, my gf is going to have to wear some wrist splints for a while, and failing that, will have to be operated on.

Sorry if you knew all that already, but hope it is of some help....
Old 09-14-2004, 08:55 AM

I not only play a lot online, but my daytime job entails 32 hours of computer work every week, and I have frequently had Carpal Tunnel symptoms.

My 'solution' is to reverse the mouse buttons and move the mouse to left hand (I'm right-handed by nature). It's been surprisingly easy for me to adjust to 'mirrored' mouse action. After a couple of weeks when the symptoms in my right wrist subside I switch back. I've successfully used this relief strategy for more than 8 years.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 09-14-2004, 09:50 AM

Good points, I use a gel pad when I am not on my lap top that helps. A former co worker who suffered from CT used a wrist brace (those ones with the spoon shaped thing at the base of the palms, you can buy them in most drug stores). That helped him.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:31 PM

http://www.gyration.com/ultragt.htm

Try this qyration mouse out
Old 09-14-2004, 04:04 PM

When it's not my turn to act, I take my hand off the mouse.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:32 PM

You know, you'd think that would be the simple solution.I wish I could train myself to do it. I don't how many times I notice my wrist getting uncomfortable/sore, and realize I've been sitting there holding the mouse continously. Let go for a few minutes, I'm fine.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:04 PM

Thythe,
That is why you are a Pooh-Bah and I'm not yet.

Good common sense goes a long ways

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co
Old 09-14-2004, 08:32 PM

If you research this, you will find that the cause of the pain is 'the angle of your wrist' to the mouse/keyboard. If you're laying your hand along the desk and your hand is 'snapped' back/up - then you will upset your wrist and get pain. Using a gel support DOES NOT help - using a gel support directly under the wrist further compresses inflamed nerves and aggrevates the problem. You need to keep your wrist higher than your mouse/keyboard i.e. with your hand angled down to alleviate the problem. I use my office chair's arm rest to support my arm and drop my hand down onto the mouse. Completely solves the problem! Incidentally, think about how monkeys and apes walk - they walk on their knuckles i.e. keep their wrists straight. If they tried to walk on their actual hands, they would be snapping back their wrists and give themselves CTS. Try not to use your hands in this position!