Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 03:40 AM

Default Ted Forrest and John Hennigan

I think these are examples of the type of players Greenstein is talking about. They are better than Layne Flack, Daniel Negreanu, Gus Hansen, TJ Cloutier, etc. etc.

But don't have a need to play many tournaments. Both won at this year's WSOP though, unlike the heros. Talk about underrated.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Ted Forrest and John Hennigan

i don't think they are underrated...a couple years ago cardplayer did a poll of professional circuit players on who they thought were the best players at each different game, including both live and tourney...I think Ted was in top five for over half the games and Hennigan was also in a few...They just haven't gotten the same TV coverage as Daniel and Hellmuth...
Old 09-13-2004, 05:11 AM

Both (Forrest + Hennigan) won at this year's WSOP though, unlike the heros. Talk about underrated.

A few of the heros...
Negreanu won at this year's WSOP.
John Juanda had a great WSOP.
Hellmuth had a bunch of cashes.

I would agree that Henningan and Forrest are (probably) examples of the types of players that Barry G mentioned, and they are underrated by the "Poker TV watching community," but a bunch of the "Poker tv watching community" heroes also did quite well.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:11 AM

Both (Forrest + Hennigan) won at this year's WSOP though, unlike the heros. Talk about underrated.

A few of the heros...
Negreanu won at this year's WSOP.
John Juanda had a great WSOP.
Hellmuth had a bunch of cashes.

I would agree that Henningan and Forrest are (probably) examples of the types of players that Barry G mentioned, and they are underrated by the "Poker TV watching community," but a bunch of the "Poker tv watching community" heroes also did quite well.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:01 AM

What did barry greenstien say?
Old 09-13-2004, 08:46 AM

He said that if the best cash game players took more time off of cash games to play tournaments, the people that TV watchers idolize would probably be a different set of folks.

Basically, for the $1k-$2k players that are successful to match their hourly rate in tournaments, they would have to hit the final table like 40% of the time, and I bet the first place prize would have to be $1 mil+ for it to be worthwhile for them.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:19 PM

Agreed, but what i think is beginning to happen is that players such as Forrest and Hennigan realize what exposure will do for their player pool. Now, any golfer would love to tee it up with the best in the world for a day, but you'd never go up to Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Vjay Singh, and Phil Mickelson and say, " Hey, lets all go golfing for 1-10k per hole", yet you see this all the time in poker rooms, at varying stakes. you CAN play with the best in the world most any time you like, if you have a buyin to their game. Try getting a pickup game with Jordan that way, (as an aside, I'm VERY surprised Jordan hasn't picked up tourney poker. I'm not positive what it's like for Affleck/Maguire, Etc, but it seems most of the time they don't get swamped with attention like they normally would in public. POKER already knew Ted Forrest and John Hennigan. Now anyone who pays any attention to TELEVISED poker does, and that increases their recognition, and thus their player base.
Also, they're competitive. I (normally) make a LOT more $$$ playing SNG's than i do live or limit games, yet i play those as a diversion or for recreational purposes. I would venture it's similar for the big guns.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:30 PM

I think Ted wants to be underrated. I believe he looks for opportunities to boost someone else, while putting himself into the background.

A perfect example is when he won his 2nd event this year, and just kept saying over and over again how well the runner-up did. He kept insisting Andy interview HER, not him.

In my four or five conversations with Ted, he was contantly turning the subject back to ME. When I reminded him that he is doing so well, playing his "A" game, running well, etc, he just blushed and shrugged.

At our Stud table at the series, he constantly commended other players, and their play. He wanted everyone to feel good about themselves. A couple of players put down a play he made, sitting right next to him (!!) and he just sat there, never defending himself, never explaining his actions.

I don't think Ted wants the limelight. I think he knows what he is doing, knows he does it well, but doesn't necessarily want others to know anything about him, the way he thinks, what he is doing, etc.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net
Old 09-13-2004, 01:46 PM

I'd think you might be borderline stalking Ted if it was only you that held him in such high regard 8P, but you really have to dig deep to find anyone that says an unkind word about ted forrest.

I don't even think Russ "I'm a psycho" Georgiev has tried to tarnish his image yet.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd think you might be borderline stalking Ted if it was only you that held him in such high regard 8P, but you really have to dig deep to find anyone that says an unkind word about ted forrest.

I don't even think Russ "I'm a psycho" Georgiev has tried to tarnish his image yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeez, how did you know? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] If I stalked poor Ted, it would be to jump into his brain, not jump his bones, lol.

Yep, even Ted got reemed by Russ G. You can look it up on RGP, but it's just stupid, normal Russ stuff. Someone also started a thread about how Ted and Doyle must have been colluding against Alan G. in that WPT episode...trying to combine the strength of two all-in's in order to increase their chances to outdraw Alan, lol. What a joke.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]