Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 12:55 AM

Default $2/$4 Hand. Not agg enough?

Pacific Poker $2/$4
Im on the BB with KQ. 4 limpers and SB completes. I raise and everyone calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, I check, Limper1 bets, Limper2,3,4 call, SB folds and i call.
With 4 callers 2 overcards, backdoor flush draw and a gutshot straight draw to the nuts should i have raised here? I figure i have 4 clean outs to the nuts, 6 outs to a decent high pair but they can still lose to 2 pair so ill count that as 3 outs, and about 1.5 outs to a backdoor flush. So i have about 8 outs i figure. Being a 2.18:1 to improve by the river i now think i should have raised this flop.

Turn: (J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, Limper1 bets, Limper2,3,4 call and i call.

River (J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7) Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, Limper1,2,3,4 check

Please comment on my play. I think i should have been more aggressive on the flop.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:22 AM

Default Re: $2/$4 Hand. Not agg enough?

I think you should lead out with a bet on the flop. You raised preflop, so make somebody else prove to you that he has a better hand.

Given your line of checking the flop, I don't think you should raise for value. You don't have good position, so you won't get the bonus of getting a free-card on the turn. You're also vulnerable to reverse implied odds those times you hit and lose. You have discounted your outs, but you won't know where you're at if you hit an overcard. You could also hit a K or Q on the turn, and then get rivered. When this happens you'll lose multiple big bets. Contrast this with value betting/raising a flush-draw or open-ended straight draw on the flop. With these you'll almost always win with if they come in.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:34 AM

Default Re: $2/$4 Hand. Not agg enough?

Misplayed on every street.

I like the preflop raise if you were suited, and I don't if you weren't.

But if I raised preflop, I would bet the flop.

Check-fold the turn.

Bet the river.

Will
Old 09-13-2004, 07:39 AM

Default The hand is posted wrong!

Should be this. Notice the gutshot draw to the nuts.

Pacific Poker $2/$4
Im on the BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. 4 limpers and SB completes. I raise and everyone calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, I check, Limper1 bets, Limper2,3,4 call, SB folds and i call.
With 4 callers 2 overcards, backdoor flush draw and a gutshot straight draw to the nuts should i have raised here? I figure i have 4 clean outs to the nuts, 6 outs to a decent high pair but they can still lose to 2 pair so ill count that as 3 outs, and about 1.5 outs to a backdoor flush. So i have about 8 outs i figure. Being a 2.18:1 to improve by the river i now think i should have raised this flop.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, Limper1 bets, Limper2,3,4 call and i call.

River J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, Limper1,2,3,4 check

Please comment on my play. I think i should have been more aggressive on the flop.