Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 09:52 PM

Default KK w/Ace on flop heads-up

MP1 seems decent. I figure I'm either way ahead or way behind here so my plan is to call down after he bets the flop. Good play or should I raise the flop?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Once the 2nd Q hits on the river I don't see how I can possibly be ahead so I fold. Any comments appreciated, but I'm mainly concerned with the flop play.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Re: KK w/Ace on flop heads-up

I might of just called just because it's only one last bet. And if he's a decent player i might be thinking that he would call a raise with a small pocket pair. That's just my thinking and i'm new to this so i might be wrong.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:58 PM

Call the last bet.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:23 PM

I was debating calling on the river, but I'd need to win almost 15% of the time and I just couldn't see it happening. What type of holding do you think my opponent could have that he'd play this way against a preflop raiser that I would beat?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call the last bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. the chances of you being good are about zip.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:15 PM

I don't think this pot falls under the rule "call in big pots even if you are fairly certain you're beat"

do you think hero has a decent chance to be ahead here against someone he reads as somewhat of a solid player? if so, call. personally, I probably fold against a normal player, call against a maniac.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:29 PM

I don't understand why you didn't raise on the flop. If he re-raises, you can be fairly sure you're beat, otherwise he calls (or folds!) and you're setting up for a free card on the turn if he wants to be tricky and go for the check-raise. You would have gotten to showdown for the same amount of money if he bets the river after your turn-check, but you would have been able to showdown.

I'm no poker master by any means, but that flop call just doesn't sit right with me, especially heads up.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you didn't raise on the flop. If he re-raises, you can be fairly sure you're beat, otherwise he calls (or folds!) and you're setting up for a free card on the turn if he wants to be tricky and go for the check-raise. You would have gotten to showdown for the same amount of money if he bets the river after your turn-check, but you would have been able to showdown.

I'm no poker master by any means, but that flop call just doesn't sit right with me, especially heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who would raise this flop.