Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 03:53 AM

Default Opinion of Turbo SNG\'s on Pstars?

Are these things just card catching luck fests since the blinds are 75/150 by the time 20 hands have been dealt?

Thoughts, opinions. Discuss!

I used to play them but then learned to despise them. I don't understand why I ever liked the 18 person ones.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Opinion of Turbo SNG\'s on Pstars?

i used to play them a lot. i dotn think the blinds were a huge amount different a party style system where the blinds raise every ten hands.

it will be faster at the start, but as players get fewer, it will probably be a slower system (you can get through much more than ten hands in 5 min when 4/5 handed).

now ive started playing in a format where the blinds go up every 5 hands, now that is manic. but i still think it can be broken (ive shown short term positive return).

for further info, you can search the forum, its been covered a few times. but thats my opinion.

Phill
Old 09-12-2004, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are these things just card catching luck fests since the blinds are 75/150 by the time 20 hands have been dealt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly, they are good fun and definitely as beatable as party sngs, players are tighter than party players (at low levels where i play). I just avoid getting involved early unless i have a good hand or a possiblity to take a huge pot down (PPs for set value), and later being very aggresive with hands like 99-QQ and AK AQ works well, you often get action from worse hands, and if you don't the blinds can be a good consolation as they get very large.

Regards Mack
Old 09-12-2004, 09:45 AM

I think the 1-table is ok and have done quite well but agree the two table is a no-no for me, blinds get far too high if you don't hit cards early and there's absolutely no room to play.

They appeal when I've less time for the >1.25 hour ordinary SnG's on stars (and I'm crap at multitabling)

stoneii
Old 09-12-2004, 12:07 PM

They are most definately beatable.
I spend most of my time at the moment at the $55+5 with the odd $105+9. To be honest I prefer the structure of the standard ones more but my results fell when they opened these. After quite a bit of analysis I decided that a lot of teh people I would like to play against had moved to the turbos.....

My roi is now the same on the turbos as it was on the standard 50's but I can get twice as many in per hour....

UKgazz
Old 09-12-2004, 12:35 PM

.....and my roi on the non-turbos went up as i no longer play against ukgazz since he became a turbo whore.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 12:51 PM

The PS turbos are better than the PP games - the amount of time they take is about the same, but the luck/skill ratio is better, because you're starting off with almost twice as many chips.

Plus, the maniacs/LAGS are making a bigger mistake by going all-in early, since the blinds/stack ratio is smaller - and there are fewer of them there (perhaps as a result).

And the "playing zone" lasts longer, IMO - the time after the blinds become worth playing for, but before it becomes a total crapshoot.

Finally, the PS turbos are cheaper than the PP games.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:51 PM

lol I did see you venturing to the dark side of the turbos once [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 04:13 PM

The sum up my venturing back into a (very very low limit!) turbo last night.. I saw many MANY hands of ace/6 os against the dreaded... ace/8 os! And I laughed my way into first place.

Maybe I'll give them a try now that I feel myself a better disciplined and more aggressive player.

Thanks guys.