Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Should I be mad...or glad?

I was playing a little $25 max buy in NL on Party just now and I picked up AA in Mp and faced a $3 raise from a guy who had me covered, I had about $30.

I made it $10 to go and got another LP caller and the EP raiser called my $7 more and promptly diconnects (on purpose I'm sure).

3 to the flop for $30. Q,T,4 rainbow.

EP times out because he was scared to play post flop with his garbage. I push AI for $20 and the LP drops.

Now PP allows him to play as though all-in on the flop here so they flip his cards. QTo! I'm in bad shape so I'm actually a little happy he decided to run.

Turn 5, River 5. I win, $20 less than I should have after he would have been forced to either move on me or defend all in on the flop which is how it would have gone down.

So, on the one hand I was lucky to hit runner runner and win the $30 pot. And on the other hand I was screwed out of an extra $20 by a cheater, plain and simple.

How would you guys feel in this situation? Its mixed emotions for me but I think pissed is slightly prevailing.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Should I be mad...or glad?

First, the hand is not an autowin. He got lucky, then you got lucky. We call this probability, no?

He did in fact cheat. Of that I have no doubt.. as I've seen it go down just like that a hundred times. If he keeps doing that he WILL get caught. I think PP checks if there are repeat offenders and looks at the circumstances. You just called or bet a lot and disconnected? Yes, your ass is busted.

So it wasn't a big deal, be satisfied if you feel you played the hand to the best of your ability and let it go. He will get his. Or hers.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:05 AM

Neither getting annoyed nor writing it off helps. Send a message to alerts@partypoker.com whenever you see something like this. They probably won't do anything, but this will allow them to establish whether your opponent has a history of disconnecting conveniently.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:58 AM

Party and a few other sites seem to have good systems in place for dealing with repeat offendors. I would not worry about the little turd. As for the hand, you won it and that's what counts.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:06 PM

Amen.
I was going to send exactly the same message.
Do NOT let people cheat you.
Al
Old 09-16-2004, 06:41 PM

I don't understand why everybody automatically believes this guy was cheating based on one isolated incident. Haven't you been disconnected frequently enough that you can realize that it's only a matter of time until it happens to you at the wrong (or right!) time??????????
Old 09-16-2004, 06:58 PM

No
Old 09-16-2004, 07:26 PM

Definitely no.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:25 PM

Is it possible that he wasn't cheating? Yes.
Is it likely? No.

Would one be foolish to trush this person, without ample evidence that it wasn't cheating? Yes.

Prudence is not a court of law. He need not be "assumed innocent until proven guilty" in cases like this. His actions provide a reasonable suspicion of guilt and until demonstrated otherwise, treating him as if he is a cheater is prudent.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:31 AM

I'm probably missing something but how was it posssibly +EV for this guy to disconnect? If he hits a big hand, he's not going to get paid; if he doesn't hit he's going to lose anyway and be out exactly as much as if he folded on the flop. The only condition under which his hypothetical cheating nets him anything is basically exactly the situation that happened.

Basically, he took away his own implied odds on his drawing hand.

-X