Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2004, 11:13 PM

Default AmateurQuest 20,000 #3

Issues #1 and #2 in this 'quest' were posted way back in June. I played through that month, about three hours a night. In July, however, I switched over to SNGs for UB's "Sit and Go Crazy" promotion, and played maybe one or two hours of limit during that month. And then in August, work got super-crazy (80+ hour weeks), so my poker time suffered. But... now we're in a bit better shape at work, I gave up NL SNGs due to losing too much (!), and I'm back at the limit ring games.

So here's my quest: to play 20,000 hands during the next thirty days. I think one of the main reasons to post a quest is to use the forums to provide extra motivation where it otherwise might be lacking. I'm not trying to make any given amount of money in that time--mostly to put in the hours, read and reread, and hopefully get better. In addition to getting in those hands, I want to work off some of the $800+ in bonus I've accumulated and grow my bankroll to $300 so that I have a cushion for 50c-$1. I could easily deposit the money, but I don't want to jump up limits unless I knew I could beat the game. That's also why I'm playing at UB--the games are tougher, but it should be cheaper lessons. When I finish working off the bonus, I'll probably switch to a fishier site.

Another part of this quest is to lose 10 pounds in 30 days. I bought a one-year membership at Gold's Gym, and I'm committed to working out and eating better. I've done the workout thing before and lost 60 lbs, back a couple years ago, but the past few years have been stressful, and I fell off the wagon. I'm back up to where I was before, and it's no fun.

Like Gaul, my workout plan is divided into three parts. The first part is strength training. Strength training falls into the "burn more calories a day" part of the fat-burning equation, and it has other handy benefits, too. Part two is to eat more--more often, that is. Four or five times a day, focussing on protein and providing energy for the workouts. The third part is eating better: fewer carbs, less trash, and no more than one soda a day.

I'm choosing yesterday at my start day (because I can). So...

Day 1: I got in my 9 table-hours as planned, 3-tabling the 25c-50c. I don't have any saved hands, but my records show that I made 14BB during lunch, and broke even that night. Ho hum.

My evening workout was great. This was the first time (since I started working out again) that I felt the post-workout endorphin rush, and I used that to help re-commit myself to working out every day.

Day 1 Results: 594 hands, +14.2BB.

(Note that I am not including earned bonus money in the results.)

Day 2: I got up early today (for a Saturday), ran errands, and sat down to play. I got absolutely slaughtered, though--set over set, straights and flushes didn't come in, and the villians kept hitting longshot draws with their 94s, 63o, and the like. I took a break, got dinner, and sat back down again.

The second session was much better--my draws came in, my overcards held up, it was all good. I know I'm still missing some bets, and giving a few away. After the bad showing this morning, I resolved to record every hand I was involved in, big or small. As a result, I've got a few--and none were too bad. Most were big wins. Here's one that I won, but there were obviously missed opportunities to get more bets:

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 (poster) raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (14.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 has 9s Th (straight, ten high).
Hero has As 5s (flush, ace high).
MP3 has 9c 9h (straight, ten high).
Outcome: Hero wins 20.70 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Question: does quoting the hand make it easier to read this journal? Let me know, I thought I'd try it and see what happened.

Day 2 Results: 779 hands, -23.3 BB
Total: 1373 hands, -9.1 BB

I'm off to the gym now. I'm going in to work tomorrow, but I should get time to play at night. I figure I'll update this quest every couple days--I hope to see you then. =)
Old 09-11-2004, 11:24 PM

Default Re: AmateurQuest 20,000 #3

Well. U played that hand Like a little girl.

Thats the only way I can put it. I hate to be so blunt.

Three bet that flop. U only need to come along for the ride and Viola there they are.

Not sure about the turn. So I will say nothing about that.

The RIVER???????? Whats up with that Mister calling station? 3 bet that in a second.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Re: AmateurQuest 20,000 #3

Posting hands is good. I like it, along w/ the rest of the writing.

I'm sure you posted this particular hand because you knew you played it poorly. You _gotta_ raise the flop &amp; river.