Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Stakes Tilt

Any suggestions on how to avoid Stakes Tilt when playing online? I mean seriously I've gone on some major stakes tilt's and loss a lot of money b/c of it.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Stakes Tilt

I believe the reason that nobody has replied is that we don't know what you mean.
If you clarify "stakes tilt," you will probably get some replies.
Regards,
Al
Old 09-12-2004, 04:04 PM

Al,

You are once again correct. Say I consistantly play 1/2 NL and am down a buy in. I move up to 2/4. Then I lose so I move up to 3/6. Then I lose so I move up to 5/10. All within about 3 hours.

This is costing me tons of money.

Any advice?
Old 09-12-2004, 04:13 PM

uhh, sorry, but what kind of sense does doing that make?

Unless you just want to gamble, increasing stakes to a game you are not ready for is pretty dumb. If you play poker for the gamble, then do what makes you happy, but zsince you are posting this i think that you want to win. Stop doing that, not only are you playing in a game you can't handle, but obviously you are playing with money you don't want to lose.

Perhaps, you should try only leaving enough in your poker account to play the smallest limit you can play and leave the rest in neteller, this would prevent you from taking shots. Good Luck...
Old 09-12-2004, 04:16 PM

"Any Advice?"

Yes, stop doing it.

Seriously though, it's as simple as that.
I'm tempted to do the same, but always resist such temptation and if anything move down a level.

This is the absolute worst time to move up stakes when things aren't going your way.

Discipline yourself to stay at your normal level, or next time you lose a full buy in, have it predetermined that you will drop down a level to prevent this "stakes tilt" as you call it.

This is essentially chasing loses, and would seem to be one of the quickest ways to decimate your BR.

You should know by now that BR management and discipline are essential to being a winning poker player.

So just stop doing it. :-)
Old 09-12-2004, 04:17 PM

You are breaking one of the major gamblers rules. Moving UP when in trouble only makes you go DOWN.

Also, it is a warning sign for problem/addictive gambling I seem to remember. Next time move down a limit and chill. Even if you're running really bad at .5/1 you will lose nothing compared to what you'd lose at 1/2.

Never move up under stress. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are once again correct. Say I consistantly play 1/2 NL and am down a buy in. I move up to 2/4. Then I lose so I move up to 3/6. Then I lose so I move up to 5/10. All within about 3 hours.

This is costing me tons of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this may sound simple and unhelpful but here is my advice: "Stop Doing It!"

If you are doing this because you believe it is a legitimate and viable startegy for recovering losses and you just want advice on how to implement it better then you are wrong and I am completely confident that others here willl agree.

If you know this to be wrong (and your own results bear this out), but still are unable to control your urge to do it when stuck, then you should consider whether you have some form of a gambling problem. Mind you, I am not saying that you do have one, just that it is something you should consider.

Best of luck,

Colgin
Old 09-12-2004, 07:57 PM

It amazes me to see such posts. Perhaps I am just a rare person with discipline and a great deal of common sense.
hint hint [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

jim grass
Old 09-13-2004, 01:54 PM

Perhaps. .but really. .thanks for your help. . . I think I might just have a gambling problem. .or something. . So I think I'll just try to play one level. .at a time that is. .I've busted my BR about 4 times doing this. .3K, 5K, 5K, and 10K respectively. .So I'm actually pretty decent when I don't move up stakes and stick to lower levels. .But I'm pretty sure that I can beat those games. .which kind of sucks. .Just under those circumstances that I play them I am a bit under duress. So I devised a new plan. .I got 95th in the PokerStars $200 + 15 tourney yesterday, which paid $557.70. .so I think I will just go ahead and win that thing next weekend. .take the 85K, cash out 20K and then just use that remaining 60K to gamble with. .that way even when I move up stakes I will only lose like 1/6 of my BR instead of all of it. Good idea?
Old 09-13-2004, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so I think I will just go ahead and win that thing next weekend. .take the 85K, cash out 20K and then just use that remaining 60K to gamble with. .that way even when I move up stakes I will only lose like 1/6 of my BR instead of all of it. Good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahahahaha.

Oh. I'm sorry.

I'm really not an ass. I promise.

Hahahahahahaha.