Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 01:56 PM

Default KJ four handed.

Hey everyone.

I was playing a friendly game yesterday at a buddys house and came across K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Blinds were 50/100 and I stood at 1500 chips (500 chips less then what we started with).

The big stack at the table(4k+ in chips)led out and raised for $250, folded to me on the BB and I pushed.

I figured that if he's playing any A like A2,3,4 or a small pp like 3's, 4's, or any hand like KQ,KJ, KT etc he'll fold to an all-in raise of 1300.

I was given some helpfull advice from friends and was just woundering what you guys might've done in this situation.

TY.

- Synth
Old 09-10-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Re: KJ four handed.

I posted an inquiry as to what to do with KJ about a week ago. Since that time, I haven't played a hand, but instead analyzed my hands history for August into last week. Most of the feedback I received from the data supported most of the feedback on this forum. And that is this>>>>

KJ is crap in a paper bag. You can handle it safely if you are very careful, but it has value only when set ablaze. And even then, its value is limited because a board that sets your KJ ablaze is equally as dangerous to you. One of two things happens - Opponents typically and quite simply close the door, leaving you holding a small pot won by playing very hazardous cards, or you wind up stepping right into a trap that costs you a huge chunk of your stack, and leaves you covered in your own stink.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:49 PM

what position was the raiser in? a raise from UTG is a lot scarier than a raise from the button.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:00 PM

four handed, KJ is MUCH better than in a full ring because it's much less likely to run into the hands it fears, ex AK, KQ, AJ, KK and JJ. In a raised pot, you do worry about those hands, but your opponent doesn't have to have something that good to raise short handed, he could be on any A or small pair or any two cards above 8 or 9. He could also just be making a move at the blinds with nothing.
Don't get me wrong, in a full ring from EP or in a raised pot, KJ is like the plague, but short handed it's not so bad.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:06 PM

Going allin with shallow money is one place where KJ is halfway decent.

As the other guy implied, if the raise was made from late position and this big stack is raising a lot, then this is a reasonable semibluff. If you are called, you will probably be a slight underdog, and you have a good chance to pick up the pot without a fight.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:14 PM

I noticed this is 4-handed, which makes KJ a much bigger hand. UTG here is the same as CO. Still the later the raise, the weaker. As discusssed we don't have all the information, but I don't think pushing is a bad idea here.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:54 PM

well ty for your replys but it's all pointless now.

Talking to my friend just recently he said the opponent which was UTG raised blind. He held 99 and called my all-in.

That being said I think the all-in was justfied.

- Synth
Old 09-10-2004, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what position was the raiser in? a raise from UTG is a lot scarier than a raise from the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

its 4 handed, how much scarier could it possibly be? If you like we can call it CO and Button instead of UTG and button. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2004, 04:07 PM

this move is completely player dependent. If he is LAG, then you may very well be ahead here, so the push is good. If he's very tight, then you are probably behind, and the push is bad.
Strangely enough, this play probably works best against good players who will be pretty aggressive, but will be less willing to call all in preflop w/out a monster.

Also, what is your image? The more lag, the less i like the play. Clearly, you are hoping for a fold here.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:27 PM

Hey Soss.

I'm a loose aggressive type player, a Gus Hansen Layne Flack Mix and a cry baby like Hellmuth [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

My Opponent is a tight aggressive player which has been known to make good lay downs.

I totally agree with this being a player dependent situation and that basically why I pushed, I believed I could scare him out of his hand assuming he wasn't holding a strong A or PP (T's - A's) which he wasn't.

- Synth