Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Should I have pushed, re-raised or called?

I know I made at least one mistake during this hand. Let me have your thoughts on where I screwed up. I put some notes below explaining my thought process as well as where I think I screwed up.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($102.90)
Button ($23.55)
SB ($10.60)
BB ($28.04)
UTG ($26.95)
MP1 ($29.55)
Hero ($23.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, CO calls $3, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

<font color="blue"> Raised to try and get rid of the Ace-any players, and try to narrow the field </font>

Flop: ($7.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

<font color="blue">Have to try and let them get something to play and call a bet on turn or river don't I? </font>

Turn: ($7.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $6</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $20.25 (All-In)</font>, CO folds.

<font color="blue"> Make a small bet and get raised. This is what I was hoping for. I think my mistake was that I should have either called the raise and bet on the river, or should have raised to either 9 or 12. </font>

Final Pot: $33.50

<font color="blue"> We will never really know if my last bet would have been called because the other player did not respond in time (and was not back the next couple of hands) so I assumed they were actually disconnected. I also don't know if any of the other two options I discussed above would have worked or not for the same reason. I just think I played this wrong on the turn after being raised, and need to find a better way to play this in the future.

Also, I was not sure if seven handed fit in the short handed, but figured that the cutoff for the short handed forum was six handed.

Thanks in advance for the input. </font>
Old 09-08-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Should I have pushed, re-raised or called?

You must bet the flop. Bet the turn more. Raise on the turn was fine.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:32 PM

your turn push is fine. If he had AK and a T came on the river, you would be posting about whether you should have pushed the turn.

I might have made a $2 bet on the flop. I don't think he can put you on QQ with such a small bet on the flop.

I think you played it fine.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:54 PM

With the flush draw on the board, I think you have to bet on the flop. You can take a chance and bet fairly small (like the $2 you bet on the turn), or go big to ensure you take it down immediately. (I've been burned by QQ several times lately, so I'd probably take it down.)

On the turn I'm feeling a lot more comfortable w/ my top set, so I'd make it $12 and get him pot-committed. At best he has 9 outs, and it's likely that he has an over pair, JJ or QJ. Against any of those hands, you're a huge favorite, and he'll reraise a small bet on the river.

The only problem is if he is on a draw. If he makes it, you're busted either way. If not, it's likely he'd fold to anything but a small bet on the river.

But if he's on the draw, your $20 is probably too big for him to call on the turn. So, we're back to do you think he's on a draw, and if so, do you play conservatively and take it now. Here, your odds are a lot better, so I want to see the river.