Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 PM

Default What\'s the play

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed)

UTG+1 ($146)
UTG+2 ($28)
MP1 ($42.75)
MP2 ($115.83)
MP3 ($56.98)
CO ($100)
Button ($89.15)
SB ($94.84)
Hero ($100)
UTG ($94.14)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $2, UTG+2 calls $2, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to $8</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button calls $8, SB folds, Hero calls $6, UTG+1 calls $6, UTG+2 calls $6.

Flop: ($43) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets $34.75 (All-In)</font>, Button calls $34.75, Hero calls $34.75, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: ($147.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Haven't been sitting here long enough to get solid reads on these players. How do you approach the rest of this hand? Do you let go of the hand before you even get here? For the record, the remaining player in the hand has $46.40 left over, and you have him covered by a few bucks.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: What\'s the play

I wouldn't call the preflop raise. You have a drawing hand and you'll be out of position for the entire hand. I don't think calling the flop all-in is at all good, either, as you pretty much need the gutshot straight to hit. I doubt hitting a 6 or 7 would give you a better hand than the all-in player, who probably has an overpair. Even if he is bluffing with big missed cards, the button called so he must have something. In my opinion, this was an easy muck preflop or, barring that, an easy muck on the flop.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:00 PM

I would have folded preflop.

But at the turn, I would go all in and hope button doesn't have 55.

mp1 is definitely AA or KK.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:01 PM

I would have let go before the flop. Suited connectors can often stand up to multi-way play, but as with any drawing hand you want to play with position.

In that position against a raise, I would have let go most anything except pocket pairs and AK/AQ. What would you have done if UTG+1 or UTG+2 re-raised? Depending on its size, I'd probably fold small pocket pairs to a re-raise... and those are 8:1 to a set. Suited connectors have about those odds to flop a good draw, and when that draw did flop, you were forced to chase it out of position.

Once you've gotten to this turn though, I'd bet all-in. Button might fold, but if he calls you're getting pot odds on your open-ended straight flush draw.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:46 PM

fold pre-flop.

calling the flop is ok i guess, but a little questionable - you're risking facing a check-raise and you're not getting great odds here anyway.

on the turn, pushing is horrible. you can't semi-bluff a dry side pot. you have no folding equity - if the guy folds, you're going to get nothing at all unless you hit your draw (the only exception is if the all-in guy has AK, in which case you add 6 outs if your raise pushed out the other guy's overpair).

i would much prefer trying to get to the river for free. if you hit either draw, assume your money is good and push it to the middle (it's easy b/c the stacks are small on the river). if you miss, you save yourself $45. and if the villain pushes, you can call with 15 outs that are probably good.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't call the preflop raise. You have a drawing hand and you'll be out of position for the entire hand. I don't think calling the flop all-in is at all good, either, as you pretty much need the gutshot straight to hit. I doubt hitting a 6 or 7 would give you a better hand than the all-in player, who probably has an overpair. Even if he is bluffing with big missed cards, the button called so he must have something. In my opinion, this was an easy muck preflop or, barring that, an easy muck on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had an open ender, not a gutshot, and while the pot odds were ALMOST there, the implied odds were huge. Throw in the fact that it's possible a 6 or 7 was good (although, extremely unlikely), and the backdoor flush possibility and I feel the odds are correct.

As far as position goes, I felt that getting 6 to 1 and basically being in a situation where I was either putting my whole stack in and getting the showdown, or laying it down on the flop overruled the fact that I would be second to act throughout the hand.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the turn, pushing is horrible. you can't semi-bluff a dry side pot. you have no folding equity - if the guy folds, you're going to get nothing at all unless you hit your draw (the only exception is if the all-in guy has AK, in which case you add 6 outs if your raise pushed out the other guy's overpair).

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes sense. I did push because I felt that if I hit my draw, I wasn't going to get any more out of the last remaining player, but you're right, I should have just checked it there.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Results

<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $57.25 (All-In)</font>, Button calls $46.40 (All-In).

River: ($250.90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $250.90
<font color="green">Main Pot: $147.25, between MP1, Button and Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $92.80, between Button and Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 3: $10.85, returned to Hero.</font>

Hero has 6c 7c (straight, eight high).
MP1 has Ks Ac (one pair, fours).
Button has 3h 3s (two pair, fours and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins $250.90.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on its size, I'd probably fold small pocket pairs to a re-raise... and those are 8:1 to a set. Suited connectors have about those odds to flop a good draw, and when that draw did flop, you were forced to chase it out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you ever want to let a PP go in this situation. Folding a suited connector is one thing, but letting go of a PP is something I would never do here. The implied odds on this hand are absolutely absurd.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:00 PM

Sorry, I misread the board. I understand your reasoning in calling the raise preflop but, if that's the case, why did you check the flop? Semibluffing at the flop by betting right into the preflop raiser would've been better than check calling his all-in. Honestly, I think its the button you are more likely to be in trouble against than the preflop raiser (I'm thinking preflop raiser has either a big pair of just big cards and button has a set). I'm probably a total wuss but, without a read on either player, I'd check/fold here despite the straight flush draw.