Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 12:03 AM

Default I need help with my backroll

I dont know what the heck is wrong with me. Ive been playing for about 4 months online. I've played live games with friends for about two years before i decided to go online. I put in 20 dollars at Poker room when i started and now i have about 75. I can not seem to get past this point. I'm stuck. I can not get past this dollar amount. I get up to about 80 one day and then when i come back i get back down to 70. I dont go below 70 and i can't get higher than 80. I play the .50/1 tables at poker room. I dont know what's wrong with me but i am sick of being stuck here. i want to make more and not have so many swings. I am currently reading SSH right now and it seems to be helping a bit but i need some advice. Thanks guys
Old 09-08-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Re: I need help with my backroll

Reading SSh is a good start, then read it a few more times.

Buy Hold em poker for advanced players and the theory of poker, both available here at 2 + 2. Read them, then read them a few more times.

Post some hands and get some advice here. Loads of good players willing to help anyone out. Take advantage [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2004, 06:45 AM

Hi!

If you need help with your "backroll" I suggest you visit the forums on www.wakeboarder.com [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry, couldn't resist it since your typo made up a new word linked to a hobby I'm also into. And the same exact line for topic has been used there many times [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To give you some relevant feed back, I've been there to. Feeling like you're stuck at some point. But fluctuations are very common and you don't state for how many hands you've been stuck so it's hard to say anything about your situation.

Now that you've found this site and the books you will most likely improve your game. Relax, you will get past that point [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2004, 07:21 AM

One thing to remember is that if you were playing with friends you were PROBEBLY learning to play badly. Winning with bad play reinforces bad play.

With that said. You MIGHT just be in a streak. I went a month breaking even after winning for 8 months straight.

Read, read, look at your hand history and figur out where you are losing. You would not believe how looking at your losing hands will help.

Maybe your just not getting cards? maybe you are staying to long. Post some hands and read the boards.

Just by you coming here shows you will probebly be a winner in the long run.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:09 AM

no-one has yet mentioned that $70 is way too low a bankroll for .5/1, you should have $300. Perhaps you could play some .10/.20 somewhere till you raise the bankroll.

The rest is always the same, read lots, post hands, comment on others' play.

My bankroll is crippled too at the moment, but it'll turn around.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 09-09-2004, 02:20 PM

I still don't understand why people think they need 1 million dollars to play 0.5/1. If you live in a cardboard box and are trying to buy a new one with the income generated from playing 0.5/1, then putting your whole life savings of $70 at risk is a big gamble.

On the other hand if your life will not be ruined by losing $70 (originally $20) at poker, then who cares? If you bust out go deliver newspapers for a couple weeks and buy back in for $50.

About hitting "the bankroll wall": as long as you're playing good poker just be patient and it'll be fine.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't understand why people think they need 1 million dollars to play 0.5/1. If you live in a cardboard box and are trying to buy a new one with the income generated from playing 0.5/1, then putting your whole life savings of $70 at risk is a big gamble.

On the other hand if your life will not be ruined by losing $70 (originally $20) at poker, then who cares? If you bust out go deliver newspapers for a couple weeks and buy back in for $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right that if you can always afford to reload then bankroll isn't a concern, but I think it also misses another important point of bankroll maintenance and that is proving to yourself that you are a winning player. Assuming you care, which some don't.

The original post appears impatient. If you don't have the patience to beat the game at the level you are at and you don't have the proper bankroll or understanding of why you should have a 300 BB roll it may explain why a person gets frustrated with a 5BB fluctuation in bankroll.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:41 PM

jmark, I can only assume you aren't married! LOL.

Variance can easily account for a 70BB loss in a bad weekend but not likely for 300BB.

A bankroll is defined in my vocabulary as what you have to play with before you have no more bets left. If you can just keep redepositing, your bankroll is in essence much higher than 70BBs.

In my case my bankroll was exactly $50. If I had lost my initial deposit and went to deposit more, my gambling online would have immediately been labeled a "problem" by the missus and I would have had to stop or get a new missus. It was a far smarter approach to gradually build a bankroll at limits where going bust would only happen if I played terribly for a protracted period of time (which thankfully never happened) So I started at .5/.10 and "graduated" to .25/.50 only once I made $150. I'm now at .50/1, have withdrawn out over $150 and the missus only complains about the time spent online. (Using this technique is also better for your learning curve, if you can't beat the low limits you really shouldn't be able to beat the higher ones)

Always withdraw a percentage of your winnings! If you never spend the money you win and just build your bankroll you never actually win any money, you just play tougher games! Withdraw on a scedule. For every $100 you win, withdraw, $25 (or even $50) as you cross that milestone! This is an incredibly important gambling concept that few of us understand!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:38 PM

Droolie, no I'm not married, but I have a missus who also likes to play (lucky me).

Yes you're right if you can't beat the low games, you're not going to beat the tougher games. For me though, I like the tougher games and instead of withdrawing money everytime I hit $100 I actually deposit another $100, as sort of a bonus. This helped me move up through the limits very quickly and has kept me from going broke a number of times!