Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 12:39 AM

Default AJs hand 2-4 NL

Just sat down for 400 - no reads on anyone, UTG has around 800...
I am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in UTG+1...
Utg limps - I limp folded to SB who completes, BB makes it 20 straight, UTG calls - so I call 16 more and SB folds.
$64 dollars in the pot and we see a flop.
It comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB Who I am reading for an overpair given his raise preflop was 1/4th of his stack and out of the blinds leads out for 20 bucks - rather weak. UTG +1 who has everyone covered makes it 138 to go. my read was that he spiked a set of nines or tens or possibly QJ. Figured he clicked the pot button and just want me to fold and the overpair to pay him off... So I push, BB folds, UTG calls pretty quickly...
Anyone else play this the same way? Or am I reaching with this one?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:53 AM

Default Re: AJs hand 2-4 NL

I would want BB to call with me so I would call or min-raise.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:47 AM

I'm torn. You have position on UTG, so if you do put him on something like a set you can just call and see if the pfr joins you in a merry threesome to give you better pot odds. If you think UTG is a strong player who can release a hand, AND has a hand that is weaker than a set, then raising allin is good because it gives him a chance to fold his hand.

You're flipping a coin against a lot of hands that call your allin.

Or you could dump AJs preflop... pretty marginal with only one other caller.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:05 AM

I'd definitely just call and hope that BB calls, no reason to push anyone out of the pot, when the only likely way you can win is to make your flush. With all that money in on the flop already, all of it will probably be going in at one point or another anyway, so might as well get BB's money in there too.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:17 AM

you have a superb hand, but it's a draw. it's value lies in the two cards to come and the pressure you can apply with it. you want to take the pot right there. second best is getting all in with your draw on the flop. you should move all in. calling is a significant mistake, because you give up the equity you get when your opponents fold.

matt
Old 09-07-2004, 12:31 PM

Thanks for responding...
I don't see how a call can be correct here. I have no folding equity with a call like Matt said. I think its push or fold. The big blind will come along or he won't. The raise by UTG covers him. So if I call or push it doesent really increase the likelihood the BB comes. I mainly just wanted to know if anyone folds there. After I pushed he turned over QJ. A queen came on the turn letting me freeroll on 13 outs - clubs and kings. Didn't hit any and we chopped.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:49 PM

12 outs rather...
Old 09-07-2004, 09:26 PM

if you were certain he would not make that play without a set or the straight then you can almost lay it down because the dead money's small. but your laydown becomes awful if both opponents call a decent percentage of the time OR your raising opponent is any type other than the worst weak-tight player.

too much thinking. just shove your chips in and order a beer. it's the AJ's way.

matt