Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Connectivity Issue

I just moved into the dorms at UMD, and my ethernet connection for the most part is great. Unfortunately, my connection to most poker sites is horrendous. Even when I am downloading stuff w/ great speeds, and talking on AIM, I am often unable to connect to pokerstars / empire / party / paradise. The only site I have found so far that I can always connect to is Ultimate Bet.

For the majority of games / websites, etc. the connection is great (both pings and DL speeds) about 99% of the time. This includes Ultimate Bet.

For the sites listed above, I'd say the connetion is great about 25% of the time. 50% of the time, my pings are horrible, but I can still play, and about 25% of the time, I can't even open up any tables.

I talked to a friend who told me this was a problem w/ conjested ports or something. He also said that the campus would have to pay a lot of money to fix this problem, in other words, the problem will not get fixed.

What are my options other than dialing up? Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

-thanks in advance
-Justin Bonomo
Old 09-06-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Connectivity Issue

I just moved into the dorms at UMD

bumb for you cuz' i wanted to say that i am glad you are in school. regardless of poker results, it is extremely EV+ in the long term to get that degree. i have no idea what year you are in, but whether it is first or last, finish the job.

NH

Old 09-06-2004, 07:48 PM

How long has the the problem been going on? Have you done a Tracert to the poker sites? That might tell you a little more.

I dunno how the dorms are where you are at, but it might still be possible to get DSL from a local provider, or even cable.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:37 PM

Your dorms probably use a traffic shaper, and though they don't block online gambling sites, those sites probably fall into the "low priority" category. But it wouldn't hurt to talk to your local sysadmin (not some student but a full-time network engineer who actually works for the university) and see if this is indeed the case.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:05 PM

How college other than a bad poker connection?
Old 09-06-2004, 09:23 PM

How can you say the degree is more +EV knowning without even known what year ZJ is in? If you don't know that you def. don't know what course he is doing. He could be giving up $300/hour for the next 3 weeks with at least a $100/hour earn for the rest of his life so he can study a house wife course. Hell, ZJ may just be at college so he can play more poker there because he no longer has parents disagreeing with his playing.

In two weeks i start a math degree in one of the top 5 universities in england and i very much doubt from a finiance view this course is more EV than poker for me. My reasons for going are just for the social life, i wouldn't be surprised if i after 2 weeks my math degree becomes a photography degree.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:42 PM

I let others elavorate..

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
- Aristotle

A good education is not so much one which prepares a man to succeed in the world, as one which enables him to sustain a failure.
--Bernard Iddings Bell Chaplain, University of Chicago

JAque
Old 09-06-2004, 09:58 PM

Yea because the only way to become educated is to go to college! Your cute little quotes refer to being educated not going to college. We were argueing college not education.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:14 PM

What Uni?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I let others elavorate..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... Practice what you preach?