Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2004, 05:28 PM

Default What to do with QQ facing big reraise

$1/$2 Stars game, I have $200 and everyone relevant has me covered. I raise QQ on the button to $10 after 2 limpers and BB reraises to $72. BB is someone I've seen around, is probably fairly competent without being a big worry.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Re: What to do with QQ facing big reraise

Against a decent player fold. He has KK, AA or MAYBE AK if he is a reasonable player. 2 you are nearly dead to, and one you are a tiny favorite too. Save your money for another spot.

Sly
Old 09-06-2004, 05:47 PM

What did the 2 limpers do? Eitherway, you don't have the odds to try and hit a set. So it's either a coin flip or you are a dog...I can't see you making this call unless you know a lot about your opponent...I'd probably lay it down....
Old 09-06-2004, 06:55 PM

2 limpers folded, sorry forgot to mention.

I thought for about 2 seconds and folded. Would anyone disagree with the fold?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:25 AM

Nope, I don't like calling / pushing big reraises preflop unless I have AA or KK (or I know they're particularly loose).
Old 09-08-2004, 04:29 AM

What have you been doing on the button in previous orbits?
Old 09-08-2004, 09:19 AM

Hey Tosh,

I am going to throw a spanner in the works here!

Your definition of the player is 'competent'. Does this mean that you think he will re-raise without Grade A hands? I normally find that 'competent' players are more likely to re-raise with slightly lesser hands (possibly QQ or JJ, and maybe even AQ if they are aggressive). If this player is very aggresive then I would think about calling in this situation.

Also the re-raise is a very big amount which would scream to me AK (trying to get you heads up) - this being the case, I would call the bet and bet on a rag flop, and fold on an A or K high flop.

I personally think that there are too many other hands that he could make this huge re-raise with other than AA or KK. I am surprised everyone here plays QQ so conservatively. I would be more worried about a min re-raise or a $20-30 re-raise than a $72 re-raise.

Just my two pennies though!

Jon
Old 09-08-2004, 01:01 PM

I can't remember exactly, but I don't generally make raises without a hand in these games.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 PM

I agree with Jon on some points...
I don't see why everyone is assuming he has AA or KK. AK, seems even less likely to me. At the 1/2 games I play when a player makes a move like this I generally always assume a pocket pair. But a raise this big doesent want to be called. Often times you will a raise like this with someone overplaying 99/TT/JJ. I have seen raises like this with AK as well but not as common. People fall in love with AA, KK, They generally think they can get alot of value out of them. Unless this guy puts you on QQ exactly then why would he raise so much. And he cannot put you on that. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts you on a button steal and sees his Tens and figures he will steal back. I would immediately think, that this player does NOT want callers. AA and KK are possible of course. This is just read dependant. How has this player played AA and KK in the past? You mentioned you have played with him before. If you don't have a read a fold is fine. If the player tends to overplay hands sometimes or is a little on tilt, or isn't peticularly solid I can see him playing other hands this way that you dominate.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:19 PM

How much does the raiser have left after that raise? He probably has you covered with a bet like that so your only option is to fold or push IMO since you are going to commit roughly 40% of your money. That type of raise preflop is very fishy and it smells like JJ because he doesn't want you to call that.

If it were Aces or Kings I seriously doubt he would raise that much, more like he would make it $40 at least that would make more sense. He could put everyone on weak hands and figure the only way you call is with AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK.

Personally I would push.