Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Missing the blinds

While playing at a B&M outside of Chicago this weekend, whenever I needed a break I would wait until I it was my turn to post the BB, and get up without paying it. I would usually get back in time to post the big and small blinds right behind the button. I am starting to think that this is actually an advantage, since when I am forced to make blind bets I am in late position rather than getting my possible free look at a flop in early position. Do you think there is any advantage to posting both blinds once the button passes? I did a search and could not find any posts on this topic. If there was already a discussion, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
tribefan9
Old 09-05-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Missing the blinds

i wouldnt think there would be an advantage, simply because your missing 2 hands that you are paying for anyway
Old 09-05-2004, 08:27 PM

this comes up often,...

the result?

pay your damn blinds.

do you really wanna be "that guy"?
Old 09-05-2004, 08:57 PM

I am not proposing standing up every time the blinds come around, just that when I do need a break, this would be the best time to do it.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:12 PM

I also wait until its my turn to post before taking a break. I dont think theres an advantage to posting in late position rather than posting in early position. And the disadvantage is that the small blind that you have to post is dead money.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:22 PM

If I am going to take a break while playing, I also wait until the BB is upon me. I'll skip my blinds, but I also wait an entire orbit (15 minutes or so), and post my blinds in the normal spot. If you're going to take a break, have the patience to wait 10-15 minutes. The break will be better, it will work out in terms of the blinds, and no one will thik of you as "that guy".

Joe
Old 09-05-2004, 09:51 PM

I generally skip an entire round, occasionally two. If I need a short pee break, I skip an early position hand.

If you post both blinds behind the button, you're paying for ten hands, but only seeing seven, and you don't get to play your button. Doesn't sound particularly advantageous to me.

And what if everybody did it? I can think of one guy who does it consistently, and nobody likes him. Of course, nobody would like him anyway.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:55 PM

Here's what you miss. You miss playing the best position - the button. You also post your SB as dead money, where it does you no good. Regular SB hands, while out of position, offer you double implied odds on your volume hands. Very profitable if you play better than your opposition after the flop.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:29 AM

As others have said, it's a disadvantage to miss your blinds and post behind the button. Instead of paying 1.5 BBs and getting 4 chances to catch Aces, you pay 1.5 BBs and have one chance (ignoring for the moment all the other hands you could profitably play).

If you just want to take a leak and the bathroom is near enough, muck your UTG+1 hand, go to the restroom, and you'll almost always be back in time for the BB.