Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2004, 12:04 AM

Default Folding for one bet

9 handed.

BB is an awful awful player, will limp with virtually any two face cards. EP is virtually the same but a little more intelligent.

I am in the BB with QQ.

EP limps, MP limps, I raise, BB calls, EP calls, MP calls.

4 to the flop (8 SB): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, BB calls, EP calls, MP calls.

4 to the turn (6 BB): (J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, BB calls, EP calls, MP folds.

3 to the river (9 BB): (J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, EP calls, MP raises, I fold.

My thought process was quite simple on the river. I'd raised preflop, and shown strength the whole way.

If it was heads up, I'd be more inclined to call, but if he has the balls to bluff both strength and the total fool, then he deserves the pot. This move had HPFAP all over it, but this player was not a good player.

Comments?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Folding for one bet

i think that if your plan is to fold to a river raise, youre better off checking the river and calling a bet instead. either way you pay 1 bet but with the latter you get the showdown.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BB is an awful awful player, will limp with virtually any two face cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am in the BB with QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know I usually say I suck, but I didn't know you were into that kind of thing too!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:58 AM

FWIW, I believed I was value betting hands that would not have bet.

The BB was so bad I expected a call from any Jack.

I didn't expect that even a naked A would raise me after I led the whole way, showed strength preflop, and and still came out on the river.

Perhaps that still isn't enough to bet though?
Old 09-05-2004, 02:01 AM

The BB did not refer specifically to my position, but to the fact that I am a Big Buffoon.

I was actually, in the SB.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that if your plan is to fold to a river raise, youre better off checking the river and calling a bet instead. either way you pay 1 bet but with the latter you get the showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he does not bet, he will not get calls from worse hands.

Kim
Old 09-05-2004, 03:09 PM

I assume you meant BB folds the turn, not MP.

Anyway, did EP fold the river too? I would think his call protects you from being bluffed, so it's probably ok laydown. On the other hand, the pot's pretty big, I'd have a tough time folding. A lot depends on what kind of player MP is.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:40 PM

hi gamblor

you are usually better off calling it down. the problem here is that everyone knows or should know that you have a reasonable hand. unless the rest of the field is as equally inept as your opponents in this one, or are not paying attention for some reason or other, then calling is correct even if you are sure you will lose.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:20 PM

When you bet the river, you were betting no one had an ace (or two pair, or set, or even a straight) but that someone would call you with a losing hand. I don't like your chances.

Once you make the bet, however, whether to call the raise depends on your opponent. There are certainly opponents against whom you have an easy laydown. Against others, you have to call given the size of the pot. There's no one-size-fits-all play here.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2004, 02:41 PM

EP folded as well.

And EP raised my river bet, MP had folded the turn. EP was bad and weak. And then he raised.