Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 10:27 PM

Default River decision $6-$12 at the Borgata against a formidable opponent

I had the following hand at a good $6-$12 game at the Borgata.

I had not seen the main villian (Jeff)in this hand get out of line. He attempted to play the game well. I have seen him at the Borgata before, however I have never played with him before. He appeared a bit overaggressive and perhaps a tad too tricky however I considered him a formidable opponent.

Jeff open raised from middle position. The player to my right called from the cutoff. I looked down at AQ diamonds and I three bet from the button. The blinds folded Jeff called the player in the cutoff called.

Flop came K 4 7 with one diamond

Jeff bet the cutoff called, and I called.

Turn. Q K 4 7 completes the rainbow rainbow

Jeff bet, the cutoff called and I raised. Jeff reraised the cutoff folded and I reraised again. Jeff called.

River 8 Q K 4 7

Jeff checked, what should I do?

Thoughts and opinions some time tomorrow.

Critiques on all streets appreciated.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:50 PM

Default Re: River decision $6-$12 at the Borgata against a formidable opponent

If Jeff is a solid player as the start of your post infers I think I would try to pick a different spot. AQs is a pretty hand, but I don't like the CO calling. If Jeff has AK or AA-QQ you are in troble. JJ its a toss up. With the CO calling, I would take one of your aces out. That leaves you with 5 outs plus the flush if he has JJ or below. If he would open raise with KQs or AJ...then a much different story. I would call the flop, call the turn. I would check the river. I think you will be looking at QQ or AK.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:55 PM

AQs is a pretty hand, but I don't like the CO calling. True

If Jeff is a solid player as the start of your post infers I think I would try to pick a different spot

He open raised from late middle position. He could have had a hand like 88 and I wanted to push me off of my Queens or Jacks. What if he thinks I think of him as a good player, wouldnt he try and push me around a bit?

If Jeff is a solid player as the start of your post infers I think I would try to pick a different spot.

Read his description again.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:17 PM

I see what you mean...the word formidable stuck with me. So lets give him a range of hands from like you say 66-AA along with any 2 face cards. I like the reraise preflop. The CO calling bothers the hell out of me on the flop unless he is clueless or prone to just taking one off. You hit your queen on the turn but the question is, is it good? Once again the CO calling the bet bothers me, but he obviosly had a weak king or something like AT,AJ to fold the turn.

So now here we are on the turn with the K & Q along with a few smaller cards on board. And Jeff could have anything. When you raise the turn and he 3 bets it...I am more than ready to give him credit for a real hand. He has bet into you twice now after you 3 bet preflop, and he is reraising your turn raise. When someone 3 bets preflop and waits until the turn to raise that just reeks of top set, which if Jeff has a clue he has to give you credit for...his reraise is saying one of two things:

a) you are full of crap
b) I can beat you

In the end someone overplayed this hand. I hope it was Jeff and this was more a hand that he tried to be overly tricky instead of formidable.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:29 PM

Check the river.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:41 AM

I think that the PF 3 bet is fine given his open raise from MP.

What's the point of 4 betting the turn? Maybe his 3 bet was to get it heads up with you, but more likely he has you beat when he 3 bets. I could see it if you had a flush draw on the turn, then you can bet if you hit and check behind if you don't. Any way, check behind here and expect to be shown KQ
Old 09-04-2004, 12:48 AM

What he said.

Could you explain your thoughts about going to war on the turn? If you think he's putting move on you, telling him that you think that with 4-bets on the turn isn't productive unless he's the type who will call down just to see what you have.

- Jim
Old 09-04-2004, 01:05 AM

seeing as you said it is a "good' 6/12 game, and Jeff being a formindable opponent, you were dominated imo, up against KQ or AK? I think your turn cap was iffy, but of course it really depends on jeff.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:44 AM

Mike, did you pick up something at the table because I can't see him 3-betting the turn unless you're beaten. Unless you were just trying to get to showdown cheap, but that's not a very cheap way to do it.

And if you 4-bet the turn because you thought you were ahead, of course you bet the river.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:10 AM

this is a liitle off topic but as it happens i live in Rhode Island but worked on the Borgata last year when they were building it. Im a Union Tile Layer. Nice place. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]