Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Path to higher limits: Can multitabling be detrimental?

The title sums up my question. Let me start by saying that I've only been studying/playing poker (holdem, online) for about 2 months. I used to play home games with friends before that, but never had opened a poker book until recently. I've been intensely studying TOP and ITH, and attempting to apply the concepts in 1/2 games online.

From reading the books, I found that my pre-flop play was really loose, but I still did ok since I think I have a good feel for reading players/situations and figuring out odds after the flop. I have read on these forums that many players prefer playing multiple tables, but whenever I try this I loose all my player reads and seem rushed in showdowns and other tough situations post-flop. My main question is whether multitabling can be detrimental too early in one's poker development?

I understand that it is possible to make money multitabling up to 3/6 (or higher?) playing straight-forward poker. However, are the people that are doing this really improving their game as they play, or are they already solid player? I understand that most of the older players here perfectely their game (hand reading, etc) in BM cardrooms against some tough competition, but I'm part of the newer breed of players that has only had exposure to the online game. What advice would these players give me if my goal is to move to the high limit games (online and B&M) one day.

So, I guess this is an optimization question I am asking. Would it be worth it to give up some earnings/hour now playing a single table, assuming that this will allow me to improve at a faster rate? I appreciate any comments and/or criticism of my analysis of the situation.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Path to higher limits: Can multitabling be detrimental?

If you start multi-tabling before you have a firm grasp of the game, yes, it can be detrimental. It is hard to really understand what is happening, and why, if you are playing more than one table. However, you should still be able to learn by reading, posting hands here, and playing two tables.

I read that "straight-forward" or ABC poker a lot, but you still have to be pretty good to beat the $1/$2 and higher limits when multi-tabling. I do believe that there is a drop-off in the ability to improve much if you are playing three or four tables, but that is my opinion, and I just started playing three tables after 1300 hours of one and then two table play.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2004, 05:30 PM

The right way to do it might be to make one table your "feature" table, and play ABC on a second table. On table 1, keep notes, watch while not in a hand, and only click table 2 when you have action.

Playing 3 is quite different than 2, in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:10 PM

I have recently started playing 2 tables at a time, however I played online for 9 months. I feel that at the lower limits at least (that's what I play) you can easily play 2 tables at a time. If you are selective about your pre-flop hands you will find yourself with more than enough time to observe your opponents.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:04 PM

Great post. Interesting question that you pose.

I, myself, have been wondering the same thing. I'm not worried about how multi-tabling affects my game at $2/$4 and $3/$6, but rather beyond... I've heard of people on here 4-tabling $15/$30, so I'm sure it can be done - *if* you're good enough.

Personally, I see myself 1-tabling (maybe 2-tabling) to start out on a new, higher limit. Then, as I become more comofortable and confident with the limits in question, I will increase to 3, and maybe 4 tabling. (That's how I moved up thus far through $1/$2 and $2/$4 anyway).

I will be interested in how the conversation of this subject develops ....
Old 09-03-2004, 09:43 PM

As I prepare myself to move up levels I add a table of the higher stakes while maintaining 3 tables of the lower level. Then, once I start to get a feel for the game I add two tables of each and so on.

This way I still have the comfort level from the other tables while I become acustomed to the next level. So far I have not had problems playing on different levels and it has been much easier to make the transition, while multitabling.

Adam
Old 09-04-2004, 08:42 AM

Great replys guys. I think I'm going to stick with 1 table until I really get the hang of 1/2. I have also been experimenting with the 1/2 max tables at Empire.

[ QUOTE ]
The right way to do it might be to make one table your "feature" table, and play ABC on a second table. On table 1, keep notes, watch while not in a hand, and only click table 2 when you have action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought of this, I guess I should play the second table at a lower limit.?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:10 AM

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if you play 4+ tables long enough, you develop your "split vision" and are able to handle information from all the tables simultaneosly.

i think that the guys that are crushing the 15/30 has more going for them than a great ABC-game. They have the ability to make reads and plays event though they play all those tables. it takes some mental work to be able to keep track of 35 players instead of 9. But there is no doubt it can be done.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:55 AM

Hiya Adam

When moving up (one table at the higher limit and three below) did you find your initial success at the higher table to be less than you had expected at the lower level?
Old 09-04-2004, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Playing 3 is quite different than 2, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with this. I think the biggest jump is from 2 tables to 3.

With that being said, I would not multitable until I have an excellent grasp of the game AND the players at the limit and site I have chosen to play. In fact, I started multitabling when I thought I was a decent player... but then I got a great piece of advice from a friend and I turned the corner. He told me to only play 1 table. I took his advice, and immediately my overall win rate on a single table was higher than what I was making from 3 tables. It allowed me to be more aggressive by picking up pots no one else wanted, and enabled me to pick off bluffs. In fact, I still play only a single table (ocasionally two).

Anyway, to summarize, I think it's very important to play only a single table for 2 reasons:

1 - You may actually make more than multitabling anyway.

and 2 - You continue to develop and improve your game.

The only time I would suggest multitabling (3 or more tables) is when you are so good that you cant significantly improve your game by single tabling as you have too much experience at that limit/site.