Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Losing streaks

Anybody ever gone 26 $10 at PP with 2 seconds and 1 third or something comparable? I was wondering if that might be a record or something.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Losing streaks

I've gone 16 215's without cashing, and have also cashed only once in 12 215's before. Things are tough when you can't win any coinflipish run-offs.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:38 PM

Well, that's somewhat reassuring. $200's way tougher than $10's. But I guess variance is probably lower though right?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:46 PM

Variance will be much higher in the higher limit tourneys. The extra chips don't overcome the higher level of ability. That said, you will have long streaks of winning and losing. I've also won three 215's in a row a few times. That makes for a nice evening, BTW.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:49 PM

I have gone on a comparable streak in the $20's. In fact just came out of a horrible streak of about 150 with a negative ROI, and this is for someone who never has really been below 20% ROI long term. So it happens, that is the thing with SNGs, especially low limit, the variance is through the roof, if you have had long term success in the past, 1000+ tournies, then you just need keep plugging away, making sound decisions and you will continue to win long term.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:55 PM

Cool. I know. The longer it goes the harder it is to swallow. Just keep hanging on. It is nice to have poker tracker and be able to go back through the hands and reevaluate your play. Yep, I had the best of it there and there and there and .... It really does make a difference.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:58 PM

I play the $20's exclusively and cashout each week everything but $600, I rarely drop below $500 ever and during this streak my BR got low enough where after my current set of 4 my BR couldnt even handle playing 4 more at a time, luckily I got 3-1sts last night in a set and my BR is on the rebound back to $380.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:10 PM

I'm wondering how many of your losing streaks were after cashouts? I cashed out twice from party poker and transferred some to a friend once, and all three times the cards seemed like they were frozen. I know Poker has it's cold streaks so I'm not complaining about that.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:48 PM

If you are a serious SNG player, you are not a winner unless the following has happened:

-You have gone more than 12 SNGs in a row without a cash
-You have gone more than 25 SNGs in a row without a 1st
-You have had a run of 100 SNGs with a negative ROI

I know it might sound strange to say that these things happen only to winners, but hear me out. If these things haven't happened to you, you either haven't played enough to know for sure that you are playing winning poker, or you are actually losing and you are not able to fund the game regularly enough to encounter these inevitable streaks... either way, you can't say for certain that you are a winner.

Irieguy
Old 09-02-2004, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it might sound strange to say that these things happen only to winners, but hear me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet they happen to losers too...