Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2004, 03:13 AM

Default Early O/8 Impressions

Well... I finally decided to get a PokerStars account and start playing O/8 there -- mainly because I figured that I could play .25/.50 and get a feel for the game in general. Initially I regretted the decision because they normally only have one or two tables going, whereas at Party there are plenty of .5/1 going. But, at the same time, I was playing on a very miniscule BR to start out on, so I figured I could use the time at .25/.50.

I've struggled playing the ring game... don't know what it is. I'm trying just to play everything as "by the book" as I can, as the play of others is atrocious. The cards people show are comical. Multi-tabling seems to help so it doesn't get as boring waiting for some hands to play.

The funny thing is, the only SnG I've played in Limit O/8, which I did earlier tonight, I won. It seemed like if you play tight and wait for a few playable hands, while everybody else dukes it out with their crap, all you need is to take down a few pots or scoop one big one and you're headed to the money. Of course, it potentially could have just been luck, but I honestly felt like just with my basic knowledge and a decent but predictable style I had a real advantage over the others at the table. Who knows... I was just happy to finally win something at O/8.

So, ring games have not gone well for me to start out, but 1-for-1 in SnGs. Still, I'm very intrigued by the game and am going to try and get something going in the ring games.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Early O/8 Impressions

[ QUOTE ]
It seemed like if you play tight and wait for a few playable hands, while everybody else dukes it out with their crap, all you need is to take down a few pots or scoop one big one and you're headed to the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how to play low limit ring games also. I strongly recommend the Tenner & Krieger book on O/8 if you haven't read it yet. Also do a Google search for Steve Badger. His web site has very good articles on O/8 strategy.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:48 PM

If you want to play small stakes Omaha-8, you'll probably have much better results in ring games than in SNGs. The luck factor is huge in limit Omaha-8 SNGs even when the players are very bad.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:07 PM

This is true, but poker stars is the best place to play them because the starting chip stack is good and the blinds are decent.

UB usally has one or two limit tables going. For some reason, I dont like the ring Omaha games on PS. They seem painfully slow.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:04 PM

In very low limit omaha8/b games, which are very loose, if you play very tight you will show a profit because you will be playing hands with draws to nuts and your opponents often will not. I think when you get to higher limits the game changes significantly.(as it does in any game) [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2004, 01:59 AM

I have also found Annie Duke's O/8 articles helpful (at UB and her site).
Old 09-04-2004, 03:32 PM

http://www.winningonlinepoker.com/ isn't bad either.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:03 PM

But not as much as PLO8 sit-n-go's - avoid them like the plague.