Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 06:00 PM

Default J9s turn

$200 max buy-in game at Trump in Gary, Indiana. The blinds in this game are $2/$5. Very good, very loose game. I probably have a tightish table image.

Two MP players limp. MP1 has maybe $250 and is loose and somewhat aggressive. MP2 has around $175 and is loose but more passive. I have about $275 in front of me and limp in the CO with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB completes and BB declines his option.

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or something very similar. Checked around to me and I bet pot. MP1 and MP2 both call.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. $75 in the pot. Checked around to me. My action?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Re: J9s turn

[ QUOTE ]
$200 max buy-in game at Trump in Gary, Indiana. The blinds in this game are $2/$5. Very good, very loose game. I probably have a tightish table image.

Two MP players limp. MP1 has maybe $250 and is loose and somewhat aggressive. MP2 has around $175 and is loose but more passive. I have about $275 in front of me and limp in the CO with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB completes and BB declines his option.

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or something very similar. Checked around to me and I bet pot. MP1 and MP2 both call.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. $75 in the pot. Checked around to me. My action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take the free card?

You have a pair of 9s on a highly coordinated board. You also have the advantage of acting last on the river, i.e. you make a stronger hand you can bet if they dont, or raise if they bet. If you dont improve and they make a big bet it's not a tough fold, either.

If you're checkraised on the turn, too, you probably have to give it up...

On the turn there's 4 to the straight, and since there weren't calling you on the flop with a flush draw, it's possible the 6 made one of your opponents' hands. (But thats unlikely, a 7 drawing to the non nut-straight, unless they had something like T7, in which case you are behind them anyway...)

Anyways, no need to continue the semibluff, they've called you on the flop, and your hand, although has good draw potential, is not worth betting for value at the moment.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:24 PM

Default CORRECTION

The turn card was the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Old 09-01-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: CORRECTION

[ QUOTE ]
The turn card was the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I still say take the free card. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Re: CORRECTION

i think i take the free card. you have a ton of outs, but a check raise means you have to give it up.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:23 PM

Me to! I would take a free card! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Bobbo sums it up pretty good..
Old 09-01-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Nobody likes a push?

...If I have the best hand at the moment, there's no better way to protect it.

...If I'm behind, but not by much, I can probably get a hand like a pair of tens to fold, and even if it calls, I'm not in terrible shape.

...If against two pair or better, I still have quite a lot of outs.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:53 PM

check because you have outs and would not be able to call if check raised. your hand is almost certainly not winning after being called in two places on that board. also if called your push would almost certainly be beaten so it's essentially a bluff that will only win if it draws out. with two cards to come a draw can be a favorite but not with one. I'd take a free card on this one.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:01 AM

I guess i'm the only one who likes a push.

If you are ahead, one of your opponents is probably drawing live (higher spade draw - if they are reasonable). Now is a good time to protect your hand. Get those nut draws out of there - if you can.

If you are behind, they're going to need to have a big hand to call a push - probably the nut straight unless you've got a gamboooler on your hands. You're still not in bad shape there, you've got spades.

I guess you could make a reasonable; agressive bet.. but if you get called, it makes for a tough river decision. If a spade hits, is your hand good when he pushes? What if a blank does and he pushes against your pair of nines?

I push, and I want a fold. But i don't cringe too hard if theres a call; lots of outs.

Thats just me though!

-Todd

Note: This is assuming these players aren't maniacs/absolute fish who will constantly go to felt with top pair. In that case i like a passive play.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:04 AM

I initially thought taking a free card would be my route as well but after reading toddster's post i agree that a push seems like the best play here.