Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Miscalling a hand

Milwaukee 5-10 last night. A guy has chased away most of his $200 in an hour or so already. Now he's chasing my pocket kings. I raised pre flop and he called. He checks to me, I bet and he calls all the way to the river where a total blank hits. This time I check too in case he's hit 2 pair or was slow playing a set. Board is real ragged. No ace. No flush possible, but a straight is possible but not because of the river. So after I check the river, the dealer says show 'em. He says 'I made a straight'. I'm pretty surprised by this since he didn't bet or raise the turn when he could have hit the straight and then didn't bet the river either. So I say show me. He pauses and looks at the board and then says 'I missed'. I said 'you said you made a straight'. He then says that he said he 'missed' not 'made'. I show my kings and take the smallish pot. I look around the table and see several people agreeing with me, so I said in a somewhat strong tone that miscalling a hand is way out of line. He continues to deny it. A couple others very softly agreed with him and I let it go at that. I appologized a couple hands later in case I was making an incorrect accusation. He said no problem. Couple hands later he leaves. The 2 guys who supported him at the time then said they agreed with me and only said otherwise to keep things from getting ugly. I would not have done that, but they didn't know that. So my questions are: Did I handle this properly ? Is this an acceptable tactic ( trying to get me to muck the winner ) ? Should I have notified the floor at the time or after he left ?
Thanks.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Miscalling a hand

If this guy is an angle-shooter, he's obviously not a very good one. Just table your hand, let the cards speak. I think you might have scared off a bad player.

By the way, you probably should have bet the river.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:09 PM

bet the river...

The guy is donating, so when he says 'I missed' I'd just table my cards and let slide whether or not he said 'missed' or 'made'.

In a situation where I'm last to act and check but figure I likely have the best hand I just turn over my cards immediately. I like to avoid situations where players like Mr. McChasey are forced to showdown cards they may be embarassed to.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:13 PM

I love this forum. Guy misses a value bet which is a tangent to the story and the first two respondents make a point to emphasize that he should bet the river. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love this forum. Guy misses a value bet which is a tangent to the story and the first two respondents make a point to emphasize that he should bet the river. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just thinking the same thing, because when I read the original post that's what entered my mind. Why no river bet? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Against a player like that, I would never muck without seeing his cards. This was the first time he had done this it sounds like, so I'd tend to let it go as an accident the first time around. If it happens again, then notifying the floor might be appropriate.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:21 PM

You are right. I should have bet the river. Would have avoided the whole situation then as he would have folded I'm sure.
Thanks.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are right. I should have bet the river. Would have avoided the whole situation then as he would have folded I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably a dick for saying this, but the reason for betting the river is *not* to get him to fold his cards so he can't shoot angles.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-McGee
Old 09-01-2004, 01:52 PM

Damn you all beat me to it. Bet the river!

PS If I had a dollar for every time someone lied about having a flush at showdown, I'd be rich.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:53 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

pure calling stations need a river bet nearly 100% of the time. He'll call with King high just in case your bluffing. He'll never bet it.

The rest of the story is interesting but hte lack of a river bet seems criminal.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:53 PM

PS It's also possible he thought he had the straight and was trying to c/r the river. Then he was just embarrased when he realized that 6789J isn't a straight.