Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 12:58 AM

Default AKo on a missed flop

I might have overplayed my hand here. I included my thought process in the hand - do you agree?

MP1 has been cold calling raises with any two suited all night. Table is very loose/passive.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (10.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB calls.

<font color="green"> I'm not crazy about the two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s on the board but I do have outs and the pot is large so I'm not gonna give it up yet. </font>

Turn: (7.66 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, Button folds, BB folds.

<font color="green"> No help, but if noone has a queen this is a scare card. Perhaps I can get the pot heads up vs. a flush draw and take it down with ace high on the river. I think its worth one bet to try.</font>

River: (9.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="green"> Did I get lucky? </font>

Final Pot: 11.66 BB
Old 09-01-2004, 01:09 AM

Default Re: AKo on a missed flop

Why bet the turn, then check the river when a blank hits? Don't you want to give someone with J-10, or 9-9 or A-5 to fold? I don't understand calling this river with Ace high. I'd bet, since you have been representing a good hand all along.

Derek
Old 09-01-2004, 01:22 AM

I check because those hands arent going to fold. Theres no way I'm going to get called by a worse hand if I bet.

By checking I may have induced a bluff from a busted straight or flush draw - thats why I call.

Playing the river this way is standard when you can only beat a busted draw. Its to only way to get maximum value on ace-high.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:30 AM

You don't think A-5 will fold this river? 44, or 66?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:32 AM

If they were going to fold they would have folded a long time ago.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:33 AM

This is true. Now you are confusing my thinking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2004, 01:34 AM

I disagree - if you're going to call the bet on the river, bet it out and give the guy a chance to fold bottom pair. You don't lose any more money, and I think you win more this way in the long run.

There's always the chance that he'll call with Ax or his busted flush just to "keep you honest".
Old 09-01-2004, 02:39 AM

You raised pf and got 3 cold callers. Flop comes down with 2 cards in the play zone, a flush draw, and a strait draw. If you are a head, its not by much. You're outs may not all be clean as any K could give someone a strait and the A and K of hearts could give someone a flush. On top of all that, theres a very good chance somoen has either a Q or a J.

I'd probobly check this flop with the intention of raising an LP bettor. You want to eliminate as many people as possible here and the pot is too big to fold anyone for 1 bet, especially after they all called 2 cold pf.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:33 AM

Bet or C/R the river. It is simple. If you check, and it is checked behind you, you have a showdown for less money when you are very likely behind. If you check and call a bet you are STILL likely behind and have not given the villain a reason to fold his busted draw/low pair/Ax. If you check, and the villain bets and you raise, he will be forced to a difficult decision. I might be in the minority but I think this is a +EV play. If you Bet you get small pocket pairs or busted draws with to fold.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:37 AM

I like it. The semi part is gone from this bluff, so a bluff raise on the river might work. You've represented a strong hand all the time, it's heads up in a medium sized pot. There is a real possibility that MP1's bet was a bluff. And if he considers himself 'good' he might lay down a small pair here.

If you absolutely only wanted to risk one bet on the river you should have bet out.