Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Bad Play or Bad Luck? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Diesel10
Old 08-31-2004, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Bad Play or Bad Luck?

you might want to cross post in the SS PL/NL forum - you might get more and better responses.

Personally this is why I don't play NL anymore- huge swings. The loss is a tough one to take, but betting 2.5BB against 4 limpers isn't much. you bet $10 into a pot of $22. Callers only need to call $6 more.

In other words - there are still a lot of hands player could have at this point. Might need a bigger pre-flop raise
Old 08-31-2004, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't get this out of mind.
The other night I am playing 2-4NL with a stack of about $120 and am dealt QQ in the SB. Four players limp and I raise $10 and get 2 callers. I don't have a good read on either.
Flop comes 2 of diamonds, 7 of diamonds and 9 of spades.
I go all in with top pair and get called by one player who has a set of sevens. Last two cards are blanks and I lose about $110.
The thing is: I don't know if I'd play it differently again.
I could have gone all in pre-flop, but I thought the queens were worth more than $10. My thinking after the flop was that I didn't want to give a player with 4 diamonds or AK a chance to catch. So I tried to end it right there with the big raise and got nailed by the set.
Bad play or bad luck?

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - Post hand histories in the appropriate forum (Pot/No Limit)

2 - Your preflop raise was too small. Four players were already in for $4, plus the two blinds - the pot was already $22. Many players will call an additional $10 here.

3 - Your flop bet was way too big. The pot is only $54 - betting twice the pot is overkill.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:09 AM

Both bad play and bad luck. After the flop, you are going to lose your stack no matter what because you are playing with such a small one. You should have raised much more preflop, although it would require an overly large raise to push 77 out anyway.