Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Flopped set

Seems mundane, but I'm taking another look at the ordinary in my play. Anyone play this differently?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 08-30-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Flopped set

I would tend to 3-bet this turn. Is it likely your opponent would call 2 cold w/ KT or T8? (but then again, this is PP). It's more likely he has QJs, QJo, AQo, etc. If MP2 just calls, then lead out on river.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:55 AM

Yeah, I 3 bet this turn here. There's only 3 possible holdings that beat you and I can assure you that you aren't against JJ or QQ and I'm not so worried about KT until I get 4bet after 3betting the turn. There is a wide range of hands he could be raising the turn with here that he would cold call preflop, who knows, he may have a set of 2's or just turned top two pair that was too timid to raise on the flop fearing an overpair.

Bob S.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:00 PM

Looking at this again, I am willing to concede to the 3-bet on the turn. Villain would have to be exceedingly passive to play QQ or JJ this way, and fearing KT is MUTB thinking. I played this hand a week ago, so I can't remember my motivation (or lack thereof). My real worry is that I was fearing not the made hand but the draw, which is definitely weak play. Next time I'll raise it up.

By the way, Villain was apparently exceedingly passive. He turned over QQ and HHIG. He was noted accordingly.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:19 PM

Without a specific read I would say most everyone would play this one differently. How could you not 3 bet the turn. More times then not this will be 2 pair or a pair+draw than a larger set or straight.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:21 PM

3-bet the turn, if you get capped, check call the river. If not, lead the river.

Derek
Old 08-30-2004, 12:35 PM

I think this was weak tight.(No Offense) MP2 is a lot more likely to have AQ then KT in this position.