Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 01:54 AM

Default Re-raises on your steals

What do you do when everytime you raise, you get re-raised. I mean you don't get AA, KK, QQ that often to keep up with the ever-increasing blinds. Raises used to be respected, today it has become "whoever goes all in first wins". I would just like to hear some thoughts on your "stealing ideology".

On a related note, is it me, or have party poker tourneys become a lot more aggressive? Whenever I get AA or KK, I always double up (or go broke). Do cards play more meaning, than they used to?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Re-raises on your steals

The lower the buyin, the more the cards matter IMO. In something like the WCOOP main event, raises/reraises were getting a lot of respect. It is becoming much harder to steal blinds I think, because of the looser play in general.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:16 AM

my experience has been the exact opposite! Especially in the end. In the 200/100/50 tourneys I am much more likely to get re-raised, than in 20/30 tourneys where people are much more tighter in the end.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:20 AM

If you are continually attempting to steal and people are coming over the top of you all the time, I think you need to draw a line in the sand at some point, don't you?
You might have to come back over the top with a less than ideal holding, or call and try to hit your flop. It's interesting you bring this up. I have been experimenting with re-raising people I suspect of being on steals. Not a bunch, just enough to put a seed of doubt about taking the standard shot at my blind.

-Jarid
Old 08-30-2004, 04:33 AM

It doesn't really bother me when people don't respect steals. Don't raise trash, and they will call your better hands with probably inferior ones. Just work with how they want to play. You can't force anyone to fold, but you can wait until you don't want them to fold anymore.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:01 AM

i faced this situation just this weekend. what i did is if i had a hand that was better than 55% against the any pair any ace group of hands i would reraise all in. all you need to do is get this to work once or twice and usually it will stop.

Pat
Old 08-30-2004, 09:39 AM

Steal when you can do it often, if you are getting re-raised, u have to stop the steal, to improve your table image
Old 08-30-2004, 03:27 PM

If people are reraising you, don't steal. Wait till you have a hand you want to be reraised.

In a rebuy tournament, I usually don't try to pick up blinds for an hour after the rebuy tournament is over.

When it gets close to the money or close to the final table is usually a good time for steal raises.

If you are not getting action on your raises, try some looser ones. If you are getting reraised, tighten up.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:50 PM

I think you're just going through a run of cards where you keep getting big hands on your left. I played a Party tournament Saturday where I raised 12 times without getting called once, let alone re-raised.

I think you should decide before you raise what you will do if re-raised. If the same guy keeps doing it you need to decide what kind of hand you will make a stand with.

I know I have felt exactly the same as you several times, and usually it leads to me making a bad decision. I raise with AJ 2 off the button, get re-raised by the button for the 4th time, and push all-in only to find AK against me.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:14 PM

"I think you should decide before you raise what you will do if re-raised" I believe that this is some of the best advice you can get here. Allthough this may seem "obvious" to some of the players here I think that A LOT if not most players don't consider actions based upon their actions far too often. I know david said it already but I'll say it again "I think you should decide before you raise what you will do if re-raised" really consider this advice