Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Ever too early?

Hey guys... just curious as to folks' thoughts on here as to if it would ever be too early to begin taking another game seriously. As with most who are relatively new to seriously playing poker, Hold'Em has been the game of choice. And it's not so much that I'm bored of HE, because I'm not at all, but that I certainly wouldn't mind playing another game every now and again. Particularly, I'm interested in Omaha/8. I've been playing about 20-25 hours a week of HE online for about 3.5 months at the micro-limits and have managed to string my meager $200 original bankroll to $900... so I'm by no means any great player. But basically why I've given that information is just to see if anybody would say "No, stick at it at HE until you're much better," or if it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and branch out.

Also, where would be the best spot to play O/8 online for someone like me who would be looking to build a bankroll up via the micro-limits (trying to move up as I can)? Party? Pacific? Any advice appreciated.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Ever too early?

I dont believe it is ever too soon if you are ready to put in the work and effort to learn O8. It is fairly easy to learn to play, and it doesnt take a long time to learn to play well, but it does take some work. If you are committed, I think any time is good. Coming from HE, you have to open your mind a bit and learn that it generally takes a very good hand to win, so some hands that would look great in HE are easy folds in any form of Omaha.

Buzz has a number of threads on here about starting hands, so they would be a good place to start. Two books that were recommended to me are Winning O8 poker by Krieger and Tenner and Hi-Low Split Poker by Ray Zee. Zee's book is generally considered the authority on O8.

Good luck in your pursuit.