Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Flopped flush, did I get maximum value?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

River: (9 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

My first post in limit forums. I've been playing no-limit for a while now and decided that having absolutely zero limit experience is a real hole in my game.

Questions:

Was I okay to check the flop? In hindsight I'm not sure why I did. I'm not sure check-raising is the best move there (although I probably say that because in hindsight no fourth spade fell).

Did the c/r on the river make my hand too obvious, or did no one make a hand and I was doomed to get no action? Or just people hanging out with single spades?

Call the turn and bet/raise a non-spade river?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Flopped flush, did I get maximum value?

A and Q of spades beat your flush. I'd like to take this pot as fast as possible and bet the flop.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:58 AM

Bet the flop - most single spades will pay to draw, along with straights and a surprising list of other odd hands.

Regarding the redraw, the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] are not folding, but you can't give them infinite odds, so bet away. The lone spades aren't paying you anything on the river, so get em while the getting is good.

Surf
Old 08-28-2004, 12:05 PM

If it had been raised pre-flop, I would have checked and let the raiser bet for me, then bet out on the turn to avoid the scary board checking around.

Since it was not raised pre-flop, I would have bet out, assuming that I would get customers behind me with that many to the flop.

Then bet the turn and river, obviously re-raising if given the chance.

-Freeze
Old 08-28-2004, 12:12 PM

Absolutely bet the flop, but bet the turn as well. A check/raise can be to your advantage here, but who exactly are you counting on to bet? The five people who checked through the flop? Seeing the flop and turn checked through would be horrifying.