Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 02:29 AM

Default Bankroll for multitabling?

I'm considering starting to play 8 tables on 15/30 PP and wondering what is the proper bankroll? I have noticed when I sit at just 1 table that the swings are very dramatic due to the way the game plays and don't think 300BB is enough. What do you think is a realistic number for 8 tabling the 15/30?
Old 08-28-2004, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Bankroll for multitabling?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm considering starting to play 8 tables on 15/30 PP and wondering what is the proper bankroll? I have noticed when I sit at just 1 table that the swings are very dramatic due to the way the game plays and don't think 300BB is enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
In theory, you don't need a larger bankroll for multitabling than you do for playing one table at a time. If 300 BB is not enough at 8 tables, that might be because it is not enough at 1 table. At 8 tables, you go through the same swings 8 times as quickly (with no greater chance to go bankrupt).

In practice, if you play enough tables, you might not have enough to refill the tables that get low, which changes the game slightly.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:29 AM

Doesn't overall variance go down in session to session, since you are seeing more hands per session.

Playing just one table, you may get a cold run of cards.

Playing 8 tables, you are more likely to even out this cold run, since your sample will be bigger.

Off subject sorry.

To your question, the more tables you add, as stated, to reload you may not have enough if you hit a bad run.

You state you know the variance is high and the higher you get 300 BBs just doesn't cut it and many better players are playing with 500-600 BBs. Take your own knowledge and use it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] GL
Old 08-28-2004, 03:41 AM

i think that a bankroll of around 15,000 to $20,000 is plenty for 15-30 on Party if you are going to multitable 4 tables.

If you can multitable 8 and be able to maintain great attention I commend you and I'm not sure if you may need more or less.

P.S. Is there anyone on here who multitables 6 or more tables?
Old 08-28-2004, 03:44 AM

My friend has and does sometimes do 8 tables of 15/30.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:45 AM

Thats about what i was thinking... $20,000 or so... Seems like a ton, but the swings are crazy....
Old 08-28-2004, 03:46 AM

Does he do well running 8 tables?
Old 08-28-2004, 03:47 AM

Instead of playing 4 hours straight sessions

He changes to 2

And yes, does fine, says you don't have the free time like you can with 4 but not impossible by anymeans.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:02 AM

the reason why I'm saying 20,000 and this is probably being generous is because.... you really don't mind having this much. You don't want swings to effect you emotionally and you don't want your swings to dictate your play, e.g. becoming weak tight one day because you've been getting outdrawn.

If I would have it my way. I would say to never probably lose sleep at night..... keep $30,000 in there and everything else will be cream cheese.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't overall variance go down in session to session, since you are seeing more hands per session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it should for a long enough session. It's also possible to lose $2k in 3 minutes with sufficiently sick suckouts occurring on tables at the same time. Just be sure to mentally prepare yourself for those inevitabilities. on one table you'll never lose with sets of aces 5 times in a minute. That can happen if you're in 8 games and get them on 5 tables at once.

It's an interesting balance. Lower "session" variance if you're talking about playing 2k hand sessions or whatever, but you'll have ridiculous "10 hand" streaks that would never happen quite as quickly on one table.

Last night I was 8 tabling and for stretch it was "2 outer, 2 outer, 1 outer, 2 outer." I see crazy stuff a lot more often than 1-tablers, just because I see more hands.

~D