Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 10:03 PM

Default Good lord, not another \"wait until the turn to raise?\" post...

BB has, shall we say, "creative" raising standards. He's loose and aggressive preflop. MP1 is loose and passive. Comments appreciated.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: bdk3clash is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, bdk3clash calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, bdk3clash calls, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, bdk3clash calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">bdk3clash raises</font>...
Old 08-27-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Good lord, not another \"wait until the turn to raise?\" post...

If you and MP switched seats then I like it. You dont want him to call with 2 overs with a spade or something like that.

Also, the chance that BB will end up calling river with A-high is higher if you raise on the flop, as he might read it for a flushdraw semibluff.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:00 AM

So I raised, MP1 coldcalled 2, BB called.

River was the craptacular A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Check, check, check.

MP1 had 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the smaller boat; BB had Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and is my hero.

I think this hand is interesting because it illustrates how raising to protect your hand doesnt' "not work" if your opponents don't fold. Or maybe not.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:17 AM

What if the Ace (or higher card) hit on the turn, and BB bets out again? What do you do (is it spade dependent)?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this hand is interesting because it illustrates how raising to protect your hand doesnt' "not work" if your opponents don't fold. Or maybe not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You Prefer them to call here as the pot is small and only one card is to come.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:01 PM

On an unrelated note. If BB has interesting raising standards, would 3-betting preflop be horrible? You very likely have the best hand right now, you have position on the raiser, and a good chance to limit the field. Or am I missing something?