Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 03:18 AM

Default Did I play this wrong? And another Quick Question...First time poster

Hey thanks everyone for reading this this is my first time posting on these forums...Well here we go let me get to what happend tonight...

I go to my managers house at around midnight for some poker...obviously thats why im posting....lol....Anyways, its about 7 people at the table, $5 buy in tournament...We all start with $5 in chips...

Session 1

I play very tight...I get a tight image, but some what aggressive when I get something so my bets for the most part are respected...I pick up sub-par hands the hold time, A-6, K-10, all along those lines...The flop always misses me and for the most part these pots are multiway and someone always has me beat so bluffing with these loose players is an impossibility....I end up coming out in third place = no money and for the most part i get blinded up...OK I THINK time to change up....

Session 2

I go nuts...I pick up again decent hands but begin to raise and re-raise like crazy preflop beginning to bluff 75% of what I play....Yay, I get alot of respect for my bets this time and it comes up heads up....Im up on chips by about $2-3 on him...Im in the BB with K Q....I raise $2 pre flop...he calls...Flop comes 2-7-5 rainbow....He checks....I go all in assuming the flop missed him ( I put him on K-9 or something along those lines)....after a few minutes of deliberation...He calls...During the time of thinking he doesnt look at me once indicating I had no known tell or anything...He flips over Q-2 suited...turn and river brings me nothing, he wins with a pair of twos...Did I play this wrong?? How would you have played??

Now to Part 3....

I get into an arguement with this kid....When its heads up play Dealer is always BIg Blind right? They were trying to tell me that Dealer is small blind but for some reason that doesnt make sense to me? Any insights to this??

thanks alot for reading this long post lol...

charbel
Old 08-27-2004, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Did I play this wrong? And another Quick Question...First time poster

[ QUOTE ]
I get into an arguement with this kid....When its heads up play Dealer is always BIg Blind right? They were trying to tell me that Dealer is small blind but for some reason that doesnt make sense to me? Any insights to this??

[/ QUOTE ]

The kid is correct. It is too much of an advantage for the Dealer to have position Preflop as well as Postflop. Therefore, the Dealer is the small blind in heads up play.

Welcome to the forum.

SF
Old 08-27-2004, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Did I play this wrong? And another Quick Question...First time poster

Charbel, welcome to the forums. This is primarily a cash game forum so you would probably be better going to the STT (Single table tournament) forum for answers regarding this game, but I will try my best to give some observations:

"I pick up sub-par hands the hold time, A-6, K-10, all along those lines...The flop always misses me and for the most part these pots are multiway and someone always has me beat"

First question is why are you limping with these hands? If the flop has you "beat" I can infer that you are seeing the flop with trash like Ax and KT. Don't do that, either raise them when the table is weak / blinds are big or don't play them and wait for the goods (esp. early).

"I go nuts...I pick up again decent hands but begin to raise and re-raise like crazy preflop beginning to bluff 75% of what I play....Yay, I get alot of respect for my bets this time and it comes up heads up....Im up on chips by about $2-3 on him...Im in the BB with K Q....I raise $2 pre flop..."

Maybe a little fewer % of bluffs will get you more respect and be more profitable. Do it when people fold to your deal, or are in the small blind to no raise. Also, a $2 raise with KQ seems huge in proportion to your stack. It would be helpful to know stack sizes.

Part 3:

Don't get in arguments at your manager's house. The point is to have fun and scmooze right? Also, the other guy happens to be right.