Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2004, 06:19 PM

Default What\'s up with influx of bad SS posts?

I used to consider myself one of the worst posters/players on the Small Stakes forum, and I still make (and post about) mistakes on a disturbingly regular basis.

It seems as of late that there has been a huge influx of new posters posting hands that were played unquestionably crappily, which is totally fine, normal, and expected, although there are way more of these types of posts than at other times over, say, the past year.

However, more grievously, there seem to be tons of new-ish posters giving straight up horrible advice to similiarly clueless posters' questions. I'll refrain from specific examples, but there are plenty on the main page right now. These guys make me look like the next coming of Doyle Brunson, and I totally suck.

I'm not really complaining, since I guess there will always be some proportion of good advice to bad advice. It just seems like the trend is toward a higher incidence of bad advice, and I'm curious why.

What gives? Does this have something to do with the publication of SSH?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: What\'s up with influx of bad SS posts?

...I guess there will always be some proportion of good advice to bad advice*

*at least, there will be as long as I continue to post
Old 08-26-2004, 06:24 PM

It could be that some of the micro posters are moving over to SS (I find a lot of the threads on micros to be kind of mundane/routine, but a lot of the SS threads pose more interesting questions), and probably invariably spout off what they think the proper play is, when they're wrong.

I'm speaking for myself, of course. I think I've avoided giving any bad advice in the SS forum (I've only posted here a few times), but I could see it happening, knowing myself. SSH might have something to do with it, as it's fairly easy to misapply some of the principles Ed advocates.

What type of (bad) advice are you seeing? LAGGY?

Rob
Old 08-26-2004, 06:25 PM

I dunno. I see some pretty good stuff on the micro forum.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:26 PM

Not sure why you are so hard on yourself, but...this is obviously something that has started to bother quite a few people.

I only have one explanation and I give a resounding YES to the very last question you posed.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:28 PM

bdk, the only solution, and I mean this entirely seriously, is to respond to the advice you disagree with and say "this advice sucks."

People can think I'm a condescending know it all, but frankly I don't think it helps anyone to say "yeah, sure, limp with offsuit broadways in early position to mix up your play. You're 6-tabling, so obviously your table image is real important."

I fully expect that when I give bad advice or make a bad play sthief or sfer or tosh or trix or stellar or JT or CDC or bakku will poop all over me. And I am grateful for them for doing it. I've posted quite a few hands this week that I felt I misplayed and Stellar and Trix especially have told me that my play was bad. I really appreciate it. It's the fastest way to learn.

If you don't want the forum overrun with bad play and dumb posts not fit for SS discussion (see the disaster that is the mid-stakes forum) then you have to make people either A) realize that they don't know what the hell they're talking about or B) explain it to you until you agree.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:29 PM

Seems like there's an influx of new posters (myself included, though I lurked for a long while before I registered and starting actively posting).

Sometimes I totally whiff with my advice, but that's where some of the older, more experienced posters come in. It's a discussion forum, isn't discussion what it's for?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:30 PM

BTW, I would hope that if I say something out of line when giving advice, people would tell me that my advice is wrong, and more importantly, why.

These forums are a great learning resource for that reason.

Rob
Old 08-26-2004, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It could be that some of the micro posters are moving over to SS

[/ QUOTE ]

I wholeheartedly agree with what sfer said earlier that many of the micro posters run rings around the new SS posters.

As for Brad's initial question, someone usually makes a post like this every few months and someone else replies "it comes in waves".
Old 08-26-2004, 06:31 PM

Not sure why you are so hard on yourself, but...this is obviously something that has started to bother quite a few people.

What has started to bother quite a few people--the influx of bad advice, or me being hard on myself?

Quit dangling your participles, goddammit!

PS-I said "hard on."