Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think this type of activism helps America and it's citizens?
Yes 3 33.33%
No 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2004, 05:17 PM

Default These are the hands that make me love \"big bet\" hold\'em

Alright, I don't have a hand history or whatnot, but I'll try my best to make it as easy as possible.

.10/.25 blinds PL online.

Seat1: Hero ($12.50)
Seat2: SB ($16.50)
Seat3: BB ($6.75)

Only been sitting here for like 10 minutes. Yes we're all pretty short stacked ;P Played Heads up with the SB until seat 3 sat. SB is an oddball.. fairly tight, leads at pots for minimum bets often, and folds to raises nearly every time. Will rarely, if ever, raise. Sort of a weak tight type.

BB just sat a few hands ago... at other table I was playing at, I was with her as well. She led at a pot that I PF raised. I re-raised on the come (over card, nut flush draw) and she calls. Turn a blank, I fire another pot sized bullet, she calls. River blank, she checks, I decide it's not worth a shot on the river, as I have found out the hard way that I may be up against a hardcore calling station. I check it down, show my AJ for Ace-Queen high, and she mucks. Also seen her push with flush draws moderately often. She knows me as an extremely aggressive player, and frequent bluffer (really, only 50% of that is true, but that's not the point)

Here's the hand.

Hero is dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Calls the BB of .25.
SB completes.
BB raises pot (.75 more)
Hero calls, SB calls.

This might be the worst part of the hand for me, but there hasn't been a single pot that went unraised PF. I believe both of the other players' raising requirements are very low, etc. etc.

Pot is $3. Flop is dealt.

T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Check, check, it's my turn to act. I figure that my hand might very well be good here, so I bet the pot, $3.

SB hesitates, then calls.

BB stops a second, and pushes the rest of her stack in. My $3, + $3.75 more.

I'm now looking at over 4:1 on a call here, with 4.75 left in front of me if I do make the call. The initial caller of my bet is still behind me to act.

At the time, I had the following thoughts going through my head. The BB loved slowplaying and check-raising, and knew I'm an aggressive player. A set is not out of the question, but I feel much more strongly that she's got an overpair here. Also, I had been betting at nearly every pot, so this could very easily be her taking a stand with some overcards. AT, KT... these are also possibilities. I'm leaning toward either overpair, or overcards, with the overpair more likely, obviously.

The person to act behind me I figure didn't like his hand too much. Probably something like second pair, maybe a straight draw, or top pair with a mediocre kicker, where he's sitting in the same boat as I am. I figure calling here is disastrous.

I continue considering, and think about the possibilities... if the worst happens, which is fairly often, and BB has an overpair, I've got some live outs and some backdoor possibilities. I also think that SB has a hand he doesn't really want to take much heat with, be it a draw, or a weaker ten. He would likely lay down JT, maybe even QT in this situation.

If she's got an overpair, and he's on a stronger T than I am, I'm basically dead in the water. If she IS on the overcards, SB still might be on a bigger ten, and my call on the flop would basically be giving up the pot to him. Don't want to be messing with a situation where I'm ahead of the all-in person, contesting somebody who's got me beat for some live side pot money.

I push.

Results and my thoughts to follow.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:23 PM

Default Re: These are the hands that make me love \"big bet\" hold\'em

Six votes, no replies... and the votes are evenly spread.

Interesting ;P

In hindsight, I don't like my push as much as I did while at the table. I figure that with the flat call, the SB isn't as likely as I thought at the time to be pushed off a better Ten, so my attempts at cleaning up my outs are futile. I still think it's close, but now I'm leaning in the other direction.

Any more thoughts or votes?