Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Thank You 2+2 (AQo played well)

Prior to my 2+2 experience, I would have played this hand very scared. You have instilled the killer instinct in me and I was able to pull off a hand like this.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Thanks Guys (and Gals).
Shaun
Old 08-25-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Thank You 2+2 (AQo played well)

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I will check the river and take the free showdown here. I don't think your opponent would call with anything that you beat.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:27 PM

I'm going to agree. You won't get a call from a hand you beat most of the time here. Unless this was a player dependent river bet.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:30 PM

I would fold preflop without a read.

Check the river, this bet is -EV.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:34 PM

I'm not convinced this is well played.

Pre flop, I'd just call facing a raise and three players behind me yet to act. I don't want to play AQo for four bets.

On the flop, you have an overcard (1.5 outs) and a backdoor straight draw. I think you're a 14.5:1 dog to win in a showdown. You have A high and a slim chance to win a small pot. If MP3 bets on the flop, you cannot call. The pot is too small and you're a far, far cry from having the correct pot odds.

But MP3 doesn't bet. I like that you bet here, possibly hoping for a free card on 4th street. You keep applying pressure, sensing weakness, on the turn. On the turn I would still have to think I'm behind to a six or a nine, in which case I have two overcards and a gutshot, making the play more sensible, but still probably incorrect.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't like the preflop play, and I don't really like the rest of it. I think you lose this pot a good bit in the future.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:11 PM

preflop i fold this. River I will check unless I know for sure he's the type of player that would call a mediocre pair on the flop and turn but fold it on the river .
Old 08-25-2004, 08:17 PM

I'd say this is definately a raise/fold situation PF I'd say. Calling is the worst option. You need to either get out or try to isolate him w/ a raise. I like your line, but I completely agree that you want to check the river.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:19 PM

Honestly, I don't like the way this hand was played, but if you can explain why you played it this way, it'd probably help some. Care to give it a shot?

Why 3-bet AQo preflop?

Rob
Old 08-25-2004, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I don't like the way this hand was played, but if you can explain why you played it this way, it'd probably help some. Care to give it a shot?

Why 3-bet AQo preflop?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd depend on the player. I'm inclined to fold to a tight/passive, 3-bet a LAG, and seriously think about rasing if he's TAG. What sorts of hands would you raise in MP3 with only 1 limper in front? My list is pretty long.

I agree that AQ is almost always an auto-muck with a raise in front, but 2 or 3 handed in this sort of situation it might be worth playing back at the raiser. You stand a decent chance of having the best hand, and might get it heads up if you confront the limper with 2 more bets and the possibility of a cap behind him. If villain caps, we can re-evaluate on the flop. If he doesn't, let's give him a push and see how he responds.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why 3-bet AQo preflop?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd depend on the player. I'm inclined to fold to a tight/passive, 3-bet a LAG, and seriously think about rasing if he's TAG. What sorts of hands would you raise in MP3 with only 1 limper in front? My list is pretty long.

I agree that AQ is almost always an auto-muck with a raise in front, but 2 or 3 handed in this sort of situation it might be worth playing back at the raiser. You stand a decent chance of having the best hand, and might get it heads up if you confront the limper with 2 more bets and the possibility of a cap behind him. If villain caps, we can re-evaluate on the flop. If he doesn't, let's give him a push and see how he responds.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly my point. I have 3-bet AQo preflop; I've even done it with AJo and ATs. But he didn't mention why he did it, which means it could either be correct or incorrect; it's hard to say when he doesn't give us any reads or context.

My guess, from reading the hand, is that MP3 is one of the many raise any-ace or raise any pocket pair LAGs we see at low-limit Party, in which case, you want to isolate. I certainly would.

That's the reason I'd like to hear Shaun say why he played the hand this way; what reads he had on the player, what he thought the other player was holding, etc., are all important. That's the best way to learn how to consistently play winning, TAGgy poker, IMHO. If you just 3-bet AQo indiscriminately you're going to lose more often than you win.

Rob