Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Annie Duke - Care to give us some insight into the hand you busted on?

I'm kinda curious to hear exactly what happened. ESPN kinda butchered it. In case you didn't watch, they picked it up with you having moved all in with your KQ, and the board I think was like 4556? Is that right?

Anyways- what were the chip stacks of you and your opponent? Who bet what pre and post flop? and what made you move all in?

Just curious, was kinda shocked to see you moved all in on a KQ, and probably more shocked it was called by an A high, but since we don't see the whole hand it's hard to know what led up to your all in bet and his call.

Thanks for any feedback you might give!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Annie Duke - Care to give us some insight into the hand you busted on?

I realize you were addressing this to Annie, but I guess you could have PM'd her if you only wanted her input, so...

[ QUOTE ]
was kinda shocked to see you moved all in on a KQ, and probably more shocked it was called by an A hig

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine what more would need to be said about the hand, other than the stack sizes.

Clearly, she was either picked off by a brilliant read, or was trying to bluff the, ahem, player who doesn't know to lay down his hand.

This seemed to be a recurring theme throughout the tourney.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Annie Duke - Care to give us some insight into the hand you busted on?

This has actually already been covered in some depth (at the time of the WSOP) because Annie was reportedly very annoyed at the time she got called with AQ; "how can he call me with A high there?" She later said something to the effect of (I don't recall her exact words): "It was a routine hand, I put him on overcards and pushed figuring he wouldn't want to risk so many chips with A high, and he made the call anyway an busted me."

Also if I recall correctly the pot was actually multiway on the flop and the guy with AQ was the last guy to go before she got called.

If anyone has more exact details than the above ones that I'm pulling from memory feel free to say.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:24 PM

Well, i've seen her response before, and it's pretty much this;

She made a bluff, thinking that her opponent was an amateur and wouldn't call ace high only as she had not put him on any pair since i believe there was no flop action. Her initial reaction and commentary to ESPN was disgust at the play of the "amateurs", especially the one who busted her out with such a bad call,(he is actually a professional player and made a fantastic call). My own opinion is that I have never seen a person unhappier with her hand than Annie looked before he called, which I think made the call much easier, but maybe that's Annie's standard look mid-hand. It looks like ESPN cut her some slack by not showing her post-exit rant, not a bad idea considering she has since recanted said rant, and it's fairly apparent that she's had some personal strife as of late and being the heart-on-her-sleeve person she is, she blew up, feels terrible about what she said, and doesn't want the negative image portrayal.
If you're reading this Annie, good luck; I'm not too different from you in ranting. I'm just a slight bit lower profile..... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Annie Duke - Care to give us some insight into the hand you busted

[ QUOTE ]
Her initial reaction and commentary to ESPN was disgust at the play of the "amateurs", especially the one who busted her out with such a bad call,(he is actually a professional player and made a fantastic call).

[/ QUOTE ]

This almost reads as though you are saying that the fact that he's a pro makes the difference in whether the call is bad or fantastic.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My own opinion is that I have never seen a person unhappier with her hand than Annie looked before he called, which I think made the call much easier, but maybe that's Annie's standard look mid-hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. She's a pro and all and could've feigned that look if she had a strong hand trying to get call, but for the hand she was holding, she had a "hardwired" look of someone begging to not be called. It almost looked like she was sick to her stomach, nervous, and knew she was in trouble if he called.

Fan of Annie, but hardwired is hardwired. Even the pros can't hide it sometimes.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:51 PM

No, he is pointing out that it is somewhat insulting to call a pro an ameteur, but again, she said has since apologized and recanted, which takes a big person.

He had her way covered in chips from what it looks like, and if it was indeed multiway before the allin, then theres even more chips out there to make calling look that much better.

Shortly before that, it looked like Annie had an assload of chips. Its hard to tell how much time has passed on espn, but there might have been some Implied Tilt Odds showing their face in that hand from a prior bad beat, you never know.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Her initial reaction and commentary to ESPN was disgust at the play of the "amateurs", especially the one who busted her out with such a bad call,(he is actually a professional player and made a fantastic call).

[/ QUOTE ]

This almost reads as though you are saying that the fact that he's a pro makes the difference in whether the call is bad or fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it can, oddly enough. Consider the following analogy. In Philosophy class, my professor would alwasy say that two types of people can stare at an unmoving object for hours on end: A genius can stare at a chair for hours wondering about its telos, God's purpose for it, and so on and so on. The only other person in the world you can do that is a complete moron, who can sit there and go, "Gee look its a chair!" for hours.

In the same way, there are some calls that you have to be on either side of the spectrum to make. A great pro can sniff out the bluff, while a horrible player will just call for the hell of it. Those in between will not call.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:20 PM

Pro's make great reads and have "lots of heart" where amatuers are clueless fish when questionable calls and folds and bets are concerned [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] At least on this board!
Old 08-25-2004, 02:23 PM

She made a play, he made a good play by calling. She was pissed, everyone moaned about it, but I think most people are willing to forgive her, unless you're name is Vehn.