Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Eric Seidel\'s Final Hand

Am I missing something here? It looked to me like he raised about 6K with his K8dd, and then called an all-in bet for another 25K. Certainly he was not pot committed here and had enough chips that he was not desperate yet. He couldn't have thought he was ahead on this hand - why risk your whole tournament? It looked to me like he was ready to give up and just get it over with. That was definitely not world class play there. Are my chip approximations off here or what?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Eric Seidel\'s Final Hand

I believe Eric choked yet again under the pressure of the camera's. It was said by someone (Eric?) in the segment they did on him that he does not play well "on TV".

The lights must have melted his brain.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:50 PM

Yes the hand was ridiculous, maybe he was trying to pull off the incredibly difficult bluff-call manuever.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:00 PM

The reraise was for another 25K. But, Seidel did not call 25K. He simply called what he had left. I'm not sure how much that was, though.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reraise was for another 25K. But, Seidel did not call 25K. He simply called what he had left. I'm not sure how much that was, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like an incredibly poor decison tho.

I recall him missing the board/flop entirely, and even if he read a bluff, he didn’t even have a bluff catching hand.

I think he’d been spending too much time studying Dutch Boyd’s play in the Razz telecast……
Old 08-25-2004, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems like an incredibly poor decison tho.

I recall him missing the board/flop entirely, and even if he read a bluff, he didn’t even have a bluff catching hand.

I think he’d been spending too much time studying Dutch Boyd’s play in the Razz telecast……

[/ QUOTE ]

He called pre-flop, not on the flop. So he wasn't trying to pick off a bluff.

You can see that he has hardly any chips when he calls, so he was almost certainly pot committed. In all likelyhood Eric was short-stacked and was trying to pick up chips by raising the loosest player at the table (Hansen). He was just unlucky that one of the few players behind him had a monster hand, and Eric was forced to call.

Calling with crap because you're pot-committed (Eric's situation) is very different from playing like crap for the duration of a tournament (Dutch's razz situation).
Old 08-25-2004, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he didn't have enough chips left to lay this hand down after he was reraised, it seems to me that he should have been in "fold or all-in" mode preflop. If he had 10K or 15K left, why would he be raising 1/3 or 1/2 of his stack on a K8s? Maybe he had a read on the guy he was originally raising, but I still can't see why he put his tournament on the line with that hand after the reraise.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:32 PM

I think he was trying to isolate gus and didn't expect the other guy to call, when he did. I guess Eric felt he was at a point where all his chips had to go on the middle. If I tried to isolate gus and then some nobody came over the top I would have mucked...but what do I know...
Old 08-25-2004, 09:16 PM

i talked to Erik last night on Full Tilt, he was trying to isolate Gus and didnt have much left, so he had to call the other guy.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:17 AM

Erik moved in with the K8 on a bluff. The guy behind him then made a big overraise and Erik jokingly said,"call." He was already all-in at that point of course and you would think ESPN could have pointed that out. They did have the whole thing on tape afterall ;-)

Annie