Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 08:45 PM

Default When you flop a set should you fire a pot sized right away?

Lets you raised with JJ and two called
The board cames J high no flush draw, possibly a straight, bet?checkraise?In my experience a strong bet is scaring them and I'm getting the pot, not bad but I believe I could get more out of it.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:27 PM

Default Re: When you flop a set should you fire a pot sized right away?

I'll take a stab at this; certainly do not take my word as gospel. When I've flopped sets, I nearly always slowplay it unless there's a scary-looking board. If its a non scary board, like the textbook K72r flop and you have 77, then someone with KT might be more willing to take a stab at the pot. And if its a scary board, of course you want to punish the draw.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, playing fast might be nearly correct in all situations. If you flop 77 on K72 board, you probably will get the same action regardless of whether you min bet, or bet the pot, so you might as well get the money in early to build the pot and milk the guy with KQ to showdown. Of course, if every pot is being taken down with a flop pot-sized bet, you might want to let someone else put in that steal bet, and then you can trap.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:39 PM

A lot of people think that people who flop sets slowplay them. .therefore they are less likely to call a big bet with just top pair at the end of a hand from somebody coming out of the woodwork.

Usually when I flop a low set with an Ace, King, or Queen on board I go ahead and bet out.

For example if you hold 77 and the flop is A 7 2 or K 7 2 or Q 7 2 and bet out, someone with TPTK is more likely to a) raise or b) call you all the way down thinking their hand is good.

Obviously there are some sets that are only valuable when slowplayed. . .sometimes top set is one of them. However, the same idea from above applies. .

The "sneakiest" way to play a set is usally to just bet it.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:51 PM

I would think it depends on your table image (e.g. you've been betting out at every flop), how many opponents you're up against, your position, the likelihood of another made hand (e.g. AQ7 when you have 77), and the possibility of scary draws (e.g. 2 hearts). And if the flop is 3 hearts or 789, isn't that an automatic pot bet?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:53 AM

I am starting to think that it is better to fire away quickly with at least bottom and middle sets. You want to get action from hands like TPGK, and if you dont start getting money into the pot on the flop it will be difficult to build much of a pot. It really depends on the opponent though, but against average to poor opponents who will call too much, I am starting to think that slowplaying is overrated.

Top set is a different story. Sometimes it can be good to slowplay if you are almost certain no one will call your bet. (ex. you have AA and flop is A72r, I would slowplay here).

Sly
Old 08-25-2004, 02:03 PM

How deep is the money? How do they view you at that moment? Would they be expecting you to follow through had you missed the flop? I would say you generally should bet here. Whatever sized bet you would normally make when bluffing in this situation.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:12 PM

Generally don't slowplay when you were the preflop raiser. You're expected to bet most flop situations with almost anything.

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience a strong bet is scaring them and I'm getting the pot, not bad but I believe I could get more out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is really true, then you make your money against these opponents by raising more often preflop and stealing on the flop when you miss. Either you make money by continuing to rob them, or they eventually adjust and start to pay off your big hands.

When I say raise more often, I mean with hands that rate to be the best (your normal raising hands) or help you outplay them post flop. i.e. 78s or 55. This way, you win uncontested preflop and on flop a lot of the time, and you may hit a big disguised flop and they get tricked into paying off, when they would have got away had you limped.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:17 PM

When I flop a set, I usually like to go Brunson and lead into the raiser, if he raises, I'll usually push. If I was the raiser and I'm in EP, I'd still pot-size bet it,. If they raised, I'd push. If they just call, I'd try to induce a bluff on 4th or 5th street by underbetting the pot or checking.

(any comments on my play here? good? bad?)