Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 05:19 PM

Default live tourney big slick screw up. help.

Hi to all. I've been reading here for months and have learned a ton. Obviously not enough, though [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
This is my first post, so be nice. I don't have the converter, and the details are all approximates, but would like anyones opinion as to what i could/should have done differently.
Live NL $330 buy in, $15K for 1st, pays 10 places, 110 people starting.
Down to 4 tables. I've just been moved to a new table. I have about 13K in chips, about average to low at my table. Blinds are 500-1000. UTG min raises to 2K, 3 folds to me, I have AcKc. I considerred pushing to try to steal the 3500, but the min raise scared me. Decided to just call, new table, no reads and all. 1 more fold. Then CO raises to 5K. Nuts. Guess I should have done that ? Anyway, BB cold calls, UTG calls, and I considerred folding but called. Flop is 10 high with 2 clubs. BB checks. UTG checks. I checked. CO pushes his last 10K. Crap ! I feel like I've played this all wrong. BB folds. UTG agonizes a long time and finally folds. I put CO on jacks or queens since I had an ace and a king, and since I figured he wouldn't have reraised with 10's or less. I figure I have 15 outs ( 3 aces, 3 kings, and 9 clubs ) and reluctantly call. He flips over jacks. UTG immediately screams that he mucked queens. Needless to say I didn't improve and was out.
Flame away. I'm open to any and all criticism. Thanks.
One thing to add. In previous tourneys I've found myself able to make the final table quite often but never with a big enough stack to do anything. I really wanted to try to change that this time.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Re: live tourney big slick screw up. help.

I think you need to reraise allin rather than flat call when it is first your turn to act. AK is designed for reraising allin. You can't worry that the raiser has aces.

When it is reraised, either push or fold. The early position raise followed by a reraise looks dangerous, so you could fold. Otherwise you want to go allin with AK so you can see all 5 cards.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Re: live tourney big slick screw up. help.

I'm not crazy about how you played this preflop. I like to get a feel of where I stand preflop, especially with AK. I would raise to $3-4K on your first turn around to try and see where you are. If you're playing with good tight players, push with it.

After you initially called, and LP raises and UTG calls, its either push or fold and I would recommend folding as you're surely up against a high PP (UTG raiser and a re-raise after a call).

On the flop, you made a great read of the situation and you're a little over 50% to win the hand (if you're not up against AA or KK) so YOU should have pushed allin before the CO acted. Force the CO to make a decision - make him consider that you hit a set, or he may not want to have to draw against a flush.

If you look at your play, you ended up calling off all of your chips. I like to be more aggressive - that way you add your opponent folding to the chances of you winning the hand. Otherwise fold and wait for a better spot.