Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Playing Flawless

I just took 3rd out of 239 on Pstars. I felt like I played about as good as I can, but I have a question and this might have allowed me to take at least 2nd. What do you guys think about this play this deep into the tournament?
Do you think taking a coin flip this deep is a stupid risk, or is it worth taking out another player? I feel like I might have cost myself too much taking this risk.

PokerStars Game #629328056: Tournament #2346322, Hold'em No Limit - Level XV
(3000/6000) - 2004/08/20 - 08:58:39 (ET)
Table '2346322 30' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 7: jjmj24k (143693 in chips)
Seat 5: Don Quixote (80216 in chips)
Seat 6: bonziwells (134591 in chips)
Don Quixote: posts the ante 300
bonziwells: posts the ante 300
jjmj24k: posts the ante 300
Don Quixote: posts small blind 3000
bonziwells: posts big blind 6000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bonziwells [8c 8s]
jjmj24k: folds
Don Quixote: raises 12000 to 18000
bonziwells: raises 84000 to 102000
Don Quixote: calls 61916 and is all-in
*** FLOP *** [9h As Jd]
*** TURN *** [9h As Jd] [Ad]
*** RIVER *** [9h As Jd Ad] [9s]
bonziwells said, "love losing coing flips"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Don Quixote: shows [Ks Ac] (a full house, Aces full of Nines)
bonziwells: shows [8c 8s] (two pair, Aces and Nines)
Don Quixote collected 160732 from pot
Chisness [observer] said, "88 not so great anymore"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 160732 | Rake 0
Board [9h As Jd Ad 9s]
Seat 7: jjmj24k (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Don Quixote (small blind) showed [Ks Ac] and won (160732) with a full
house, Aces full of Nines
Seat 6: bonziwells (big blind) showed [8c 8s] and lost with two pair, Aces and
Nines
Old 08-20-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Playing Flawless

The small stack re-raised you... you have to consider that if you put him in, he's probably going to put his tournament on the line since he's already committed 22% of his stack.

I think this is a risky play. I would call the re-raise and see a flop. When three overcards come and he bets, I'm gone... give this person credit, they made it to the final three. Unless you have information to suggest his preflop re-raise is just a play at you with no hand...

I'm not suggesting you play weakly, but I'd wait for a better spot than trying to knock someone out with 88 after I've been re-raised preflop.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:15 AM

I would say that this is would have alot to do with what you felt this player would play in this manner.

I don't think I could get away from at least a call here, but I really don't like that play with the SB being the first to act on the flop. Yes that sounds stupid, but I think with a flat call you will run into a stop and go, alot to a shorter stack of high playing ability. So if you
where going to play it I think that you made the right play.

With these small pairs I like to be the the "First to Raise" in these situations. With so much on the line at this point, I would fell your not giving to much up by folding here because your only losing T6000, and still in great position to take 1st. You have over 20x the BB and If you win here yes you take a big lead but there is alot of play left. My be a weak tight way of looking at it but I am just not going to gamble for half my stack at a final table, when nearly tied with the chip leader.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:11 PM

It's definitely fold or push I think.

Problem is that doubling up the short stack & putting yourself down to 50k with a 6k blind is a lot of risk to take on.

All depends how likely you think he lays down to your push, because if you get called you're a dog on average.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:26 PM

nope not a bad move....because you are the one making the move. He could easily have AJ A10 KQ something like that and lay it down. You could have won the coinflip and then you would have been in great shape
Old 08-20-2004, 01:26 PM

nope not a bad move....because you are the one making the move. He could easily have AJ A10 KQ something like that and lay it down. You could have won the coinflip and then you would have been in great shape
Old 08-20-2004, 02:56 PM

Against a player with a standard amount of aggression 3-handed, I'd pop him back here with 88 every time. Looking at the other responses, I think people are putting him on *way* too narrow a range of hands here. I'd assume that most players who get down to the final three in a tournament are capable of raising preflop with nothing, especially if the blinds are tight.

Reads are very important short handed. What mistakes was this guy making? Was he raising his SB nearly every time (if so easy push)? Was he often folding his SB (if so, call and play the flop; probaby get away from this one)?
Old 08-20-2004, 03:06 PM

Right. Against a lot of players, you pretty much know SB is going to call you here with any overcards to 88, so you are better off calling. But with no information, I would have played it the same way. Another consideration is: if you call and have to fold the flop, do you still like your chances or are the two opponents both very tough? If they are both strong, more incentive to take your chances and shove in.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:56 PM

that's the thing, they were playing extremely tight, but were making a lot of steals. When he raised it felt like either Ax, poss 2 overcards. For some reason I felt he wasn't ahead of me and but I really didn't want a call. So after losing that it's time to rebuild, I worked my way back up to 70k, and once again identical situation, only this time I have pocket tens and just flat call the raise. The flop comes 678 no suits, I check, he bets size of the pot and I move in, he takes some time and calls. He flips up A5, feeling pretty good about how I played this one, until the turn is an ace and I am out. I feel like I had a read on my opponent and the BB was playing too tight which I would exploit if we got headsup. I threw my play into over-aggresive, and it cost me the tournament, not to mention a difference of $700.