Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 01:53 AM

Default Is there any debate?

It's folded to you in the cutoff. There's a 65% chance that at least one of the blinds will call a raise. The cutoff will cold call a raise with hands like KJo, QJo, etc., but won't re-raise without a premium pair such as QQ and up. It's unlikely, he'd even re-raise with AK.

By the way, both the cutoff and blinds play loosely and somewhat passively after the flop. That is, if they flop a pair (even top pair), they're not likely to raise a bet on the flop whether the pot is multi-way or heads-up.

Can it every be better to open limp with a hand like 99,88, or 77? Or is it always more profitable to open raise?
Old 08-20-2004, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Is there any debate?

Raise 100% of the time. Definitely not close.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:06 AM

Kevin,

Your post is a little confusing as I think you mean to say "button" instead of "cutoff" in a couple of places. Anyways...

[ QUOTE ]
Can it every be better to open limp with a hand like 99,88, or 77? Or is it always more profitable to open raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
The only time that I would consider open-limping with these middle pairs is if I'm certain that the remaining players will all call regardless of whether I raise or not. Assuming that I'm in the cutoff, if I can get anyone to fold by open-raising, it is worth the investment.

-- Manzanita
Old 08-20-2004, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only time that I would consider open-limping with these middle pairs is if I'm certain that the remaining players will all call regardless of whether I raise or not. Assuming that I'm in the cutoff, if I can get anyone to fold by open-raising, it is worth the investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not charge them 2 bets if they're calling anyway? 99-77 is certainly best here, and win share alone is enough to justify a raise.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:28 AM

I don't think there is any debate here. 35% of the time you win without a fight. At least half of the remaining 65% you should win because you have the best hand. And you have position. Raise 100%.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:25 AM

I said the blinds call 65% of the time alone. The button probably calls 33% as well. So that would make it less than 35% that you win uncontested, right?
Old 08-20-2004, 07:16 AM

Yes, I'd always raise. Change that 65% to 80% and I'd still raise.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:09 AM

Make it 100% and I'm still raising, your hand stands to win way more than its fair share here.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:15 AM

I agree. With a smaller pocket pair 22-55, the higher the percentage of the blinds calling, the more I fold and the less I raise. I still would not limp.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:36 AM

Raise everytime. you get to rob their blinds a decent percentage of the time (35% from your example), they'll 3 bet a much smaller percentage of the time, and the rest of the time they'll call inferior hands while you have position on them. What more could you ask for?