Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 09:08 PM

Default Sofa suckout or did I have odds to chase?

This hand occurred nearly a month ago but I've been too embarrassed to post it because it felt like such a lousy suckout. One of my biggest weaknesses is calculating odds. When I can slowy examine it away from the tables I can get it (slowly), but at the tables, no chance. I just generally look at big pot versus small pot and strong draw versus weak draw. This was a weak gutshot with an overcard draw. but a big pot. I think the flop call was easy but how about the turn?

Also, any secrets on figuring these odds quickly and easily?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (19 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(9 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (14.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

River: (18.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 25.50 BB
Old 08-19-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Sofa suckout or did I have odds to chase?

What an ugly hand [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Pre flop = fold You are so easily dominated here. Your best chance is to hit a flop like A6x, or 66x.

Flop = fold For a bet and a raise, you have 4 clean outs, with the chance of it getting 3-bet and capped. Fold this.

Turn = Good call

River = Well done

Not a pretty hand, but we all get lucky.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:13 PM

The only problem I see is not capping the river.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:28 PM

I fold PF, and if not then, then on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Sent
Old 08-19-2004, 09:38 PM

there is no way he can fold this flop, he is getting 26-2 on his call or 13-1 which is better then he needs to draw to a gutshot especially on the flop when the implied odds are so good you can see the turn for 7/8 to 1 odds usually. the pre flop call is marginal but it will only cost you 1 small bet to see the flop in a HUGE pot and if you hit your hand hard you will get paid off big so i can understand it. the only big mistake here is not capping the river, there is no way UTG+1 has 67 and you need to make the most out of your marginal hands to justify playing them.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:00 PM

I agree that folding preflop is probably better than calling, but only barely. It's a rare hold'em hand which has under 6% chance of winning in a 9 handed pot, even if dominated. I think it's very close. I may be wrong, but even so, it's a small mistake if you play competently post-flop.

But I don't think folding the turn begins to be an option. Not only are you 10.5-1 to make yr gutshot on the turn, you're going to make a lot of money when you make it. You're not the only person w/ an A at this table. You're getting over 17-1 to call two cold ... even if you know you're going to have to call another small bet I think calling is right.

... is there an error in this thinking?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only big mistake here is not capping the river, there is no way UTG+1 has 67

[/ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 shows 65off and we chop the pot [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] But i agree, definately should have capped with 2nd nut. I was just so surprised (and embarrassed) to be taking this hand to showdown.
Some disagreement above about the calls. That huge pot just had me thinking I had odds to call even my weak draws. I mean, NINE PLAYERS PAYING TWO BETS TO SEE THE FLOP???? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2004, 11:00 PM

Other than failing to cap the river, perfectly played.