Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 01:24 AM

Default Advice on how to play a \"wild\" home game

What strategy adjustments would you recommend for a home game with the following structure:
* $25 buy-in, approx 20 players, 2 tables
* Unlimited rebuys but must have zero chips to rebuy
* Winner takes all (& pays for bar bill)
* First level: $1 ante, BB = $2
* BB is always 2x ante
* Level increases every 1/2 hour, with normal progressions
* Player skill level ranges from so-so to pretty good, with all possible combos of loose/tight and weak/aggressive.
* Dealer's choice of hold'em or Omaha/8b

Any suggestions on how to play this (other than "find a different game") would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-19-2004, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Advice on how to play a \"wild\" home game

get drunk....take $100 with you and have a great time.

-SmileyEH

....sorry I just can't comprehend a strategy to play this structure.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:37 AM

There is no way to play a strategy. I agree with Smiley take a lot of money and get really drunk, you'll do just as well.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:55 PM

Early on the play will probably be wild, so I would see a lot of flops, particularly if you can limp in, and particularly with hands like suited connectors and small pairs. After the flop, I would play fairly tightly.

I would rebuy if you bust out and it's not real late, but I wouldn't play wildly because of the rebuy option, particularly since this is apparently a limit tournament.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Advice on how to play a \"wild\" home game - Clarification

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I forgot to mention:
* You start out with T100 in chips, and the betting starts with antes of T1 (so I wasn't quite clear when I said betting starts w/ $1 antes.)
* The game is no-limit.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:27 AM

I assumed it was limit, since there was a choice of Omaha high/low. Usually the choice of games are played the same way (limit, pot-limit, no-limit). No-limit Omaha is very rare. PLO high/low is played a lot in Europe and on the Internet, and in some fairly high-stakes games in the south and Las Vegas. I wouldn't expect it in this kind of tournament.

If you want to practice try the $10, $5, or $2 rebuys on Paradise or the $10 rebuy or $3 rebuy satellites on Stars.

Early on you want to get a lot of money in with a close to nuts hand. Don't slow play. A lot of times you can make a big bet and get callers, but it is better if they bet into you. Be careful with good but not great hands. It is difficult to play top pair/top kicker when people are willing to go allin.

Later, I would expect the play to be fairly loose aggresive, so I would avoid trying to steal blinds or limping in early if I was not ready to stand a raise. Wait for good hands and get value for them.

When the final table starts to get short-handed, you will be up against decent players, and it will be more standard poker. At this point you will probably have to use standard short-handed approached and play loose aggressive. A lot of flops will probably be decided before the flop. If your opponents don't adjust and play loose passive, maniacally, or too tight, you should be able to take advantage of this.