Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Vegas Trip Report - Excalibur $2-6 (not very long, just long)

Went to Vegas this past weekend. Had to get a last trip in before my wife has our first child, since that will put a damper on the chances to go to Vegas. Guess I'll just have to check out the LA rooms.

Anyway, prior to the trip, my desire to just fly out there got the big veto so we drove with her sister and her husband. Biggest negative EV decision of the entire trip, more on that later. The drive out was not bad, left on Friday at about 1PM and were in Vegas by about 5pm and get checked in to the Tropicana. Since everyone under the sun can suddenly make it when you say you are going to Vegas, my mom, two aunts and a cousin flew in from northern California for the weekend. This just meant less poker time for me, but it was good to see them.

Anyway, as I am thinking i will have to be picking up my family at the airport at about 8, I dont want ot get in a game when there is a 1+ hour wait only to have to get up right away and leave. So, I play a few table games and I am even after the hour of goofing off, only to find out that the family all grabbed a cab and were at the Tropicana already.

After seeing that they get to their room okay, I head off for the Excalibur and get into a $2-6 game after a brief wait. The table is generally good, lots of loose preflop callers, but I get about 8 hands worth playing in the first 3 hours. it is then that i decide that AQ, sooted or not, is not my friend. One gets cracked by a lady with AK when we get an ace on the flop and rags the rest of the way. Luckily she never raised. The other time get Ace on the flop, rags, but the other guy in the pot gets a 6 on the river to makes aces and sixes. Last hand that really cost me money was when my pocket queens ran into an ace-rag who called all the way with nothing until the ace hit the river.

NOTE - B&M ADVICE BELOW
If you are going ot be buying in for a new rack when you have gotten shortstacked, make sure you say it loud and clear so the dealer knows you are buying.

I was just reaching into my pocket and never said I wanted more chips, when the dealerstarted dealing the hand and wouldnt let me play with my $100, so I could only go with what I had left in front of me, about $10 or so. anyway, I limo on the button with J-10, with about 6 in the hand. Flop is of course AKQ rainbow, bet to me so i call all in and get 3 callers. Turn and River are blanks, but two of the guys are betting and raising each other like it was going out of style and build a big side pot. One had a lone ace, the other K rag for a turned to pair. I get the side pot with about $40 or so in it. I finally leave the table down about $80 for the night.

Saturday afternoon, I wait for about an hour to get a seat. Sit at about 5pm wih a couple locals to my left who played mostly tight-weak and a couple LAGs to my right. This time my AQ's held up, my high pockets held up, and I had to leave after about an hour and a half to meet the family for dinner, but I was up the $8- I was down the night before. It pained me to leave the table, but it all worked out.

After dinner, get back to the Excalibur at about 9pm and miraculaously there is no list and I get seated right away in a good game. Two young kids that were very loose passive to my left, a couple LAGs to my right and a perfect player in the 1 seat (she had a theory that playing low cards was the best strategy since everyone else player high cards, so low cards were more likely to flop). I just play a basic tight style and no one seems to mind playing back at me when I come in.

Two big hands in particular stick out for me, both against the low card lady (LCL), who had been hitting an amazing rush with her low cards and had almost 3 racks in front of her, but then would be down to under one in no time then back up.

I call from the button with K9, BB raises, and with 5 others in the pot at 2 bets, i call the raise. Flop comes KK4. LCL bets, one caller, so I just call, others fold. Turn is the case K, LCL bets out, one call, so I raise, LCL calls and other player folds. River is a 4, putting a full house on board, but also making me pray that she has pocket 4's so we can hit the $8,000 bad beat jackpot. She checks, I bet, she raises, I reraise, then she says she does't believe i have the king and calls. I have the king, she had pocket jacks. So, i naddition to a very nice pot, iget to spin the wheel and pick up another $20 from that.

The other big hand, I have QJ in late position and call. I get QJrag on the flop (Q and rag spades), one bet in front of me and a couple calles so I raise it, get about 3 callers. Turn is a Q, checked to me and I bet out and get two callers. River is a low spade, checked to me, LCL raises, I reraise and she calls and shows the ace high flush, so I take down another big pot.

I finally leave exhausted at 4AM up about $350 at the table. Very nice feeling walking to the cashier with 4 full racks to cash out.

I want to leave early on Sunday, by about 9AM or so to beat most of the traffic, but again get vetoed. I am told that the plan is now to meet for breakfast at 10:30 AM, do some last minute slots or something, then get on the road. I had promised my cousin I would play some blackjack with her on the trip, so we sit at about 2pm so I can get that obligation done. I stay even, and when everyone has gathered and my momasks when we wll get home, i say no earlier than 10PM. They act like i am joking, so Iclarify that i am very serious that we wont be home before 10pm. Well, get on the road at 3pm, and I get home at 10:30PM.

At least now I think they all see my point for wanting to fly next time.

Sorry if this is long or boring, but figured I would share.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Vegas Trip Report - Excalibur $2-6 (not very long, just long)

good read. i enjoyed it. is 2-6 a normal spread in vegas?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:23 PM

I love the Excalibur 2-6 game, I can't wait to get back. I only played a few sessions when I was there. Lost the first pretty big, got back to a little ahead the second and got up early the morning we left to a juicy game. Two guys from England that were clueless but having a good time, Three guys that were drunk and barely spoke English (They knew Raise! anyway) can't remember the others they just called or folded. I played tight and beat them like a drum and they never quit raising. The English guys figured it out and stayed out of my way after a bit, but the drunk guys were persistent.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:46 PM

I had one drunk guy sit at my table at about 1AM and blow through two racks in about an hour and a half... he went to the ATM and said he took out $200 to save himself the walk for when he needed to buy another rack. unfortunately I had to tap out at 4AM when i was exhausted and the caffeine was wearing off
Old 08-18-2004, 06:50 PM

Love the game at Excalibur. The night I played it was a seafood buffet, with every variety of fish on the menu. I plan to be there A LOT when the wife and I return to Vegas in 2 weeks.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:25 PM

Cool report. Next time look me up when you are here. Also, if you can be here on a wednesday you can't miss the poker discussion group. Today Ed Miller and Barry T were both there and the discussions were great. The food in the meeting room at binion's is real good too.

al
Old 08-18-2004, 09:50 PM

Damn all of you people talking about the Excal 2-6 lately. This is the only game I have ever played in Vegas, and I don't plan on changing anytime soon, but my next trip isn't until Sept. 30th.

I don't know if I can handle the wait!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:42 PM

I'd love to make it to a group meeting and I will definitely look you guys up before I head out next time. Getting out during the week is a bit more difficult for me, but I would like to do a midweek trip for sure, if not just for the savings on the room costs.

But, with the baby on the way, time to go to Vegas will get scarce for a while, but I amy get there hopefully once more this year, if not by early '05
Old 08-19-2004, 06:47 AM

Howdy Scot,

2-6 spread is very unusual, I only know of it at Excalibur.

Good game though, sometimes it is just $6 poker though.

Tables can vary greatly so if you play there and hating it, ask for a table change...

Well run room and occasionally the free buffet (4 item max + bread) is better than decent.

It might be the best low limit only room overall in Vegas now, amongst us LL scavengers.

-Bri

Oh yeah, nice report BC!