Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Brutal 88 hand

Sitting here for a while. 88 in EP. I raise for pot equity?
Comes back to me capped. I call (first mistake?)
Capper was a relatively solid player so I put him on AA-QQ.
I'm getting 15-1 on the flop raise with my overpair but I'm thinking I must hit my set to win. Horrible fold?
Am I being too results-oriented or was this play totally botched all-around? (I'm assuming the latter). Thanks for criticism on all streets.

Pokerroom.com
Texas Hold'em $0.50-$1 (real money),
Table Wellington, 18 Aug 2004 3:13 PM ET

Seat 1: Q8offsuit [ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] ($475.55 in chips)
Seat 2: Seat 2 ($95.85 in chips)
Seat 3: ($41.75 in chips)
Seat 4: Seat 4 ($12.50 in chips)
Seat 5: Mystery ($14.45 in chips)
Seat 6: His Majesty, King Whale ($21.10 in chips)
Seat 7: Solid ($101.45 in chips)
Seat 8: ($38.70 in chips)
Seat 9: ($36.55 in chips)
Seat 10: ($42.85 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
Seat 8 posts blind ($0.25), Seat 9 posts blind ($0.50).

PRE-FLOP
UTG folds, Q8offsuit raises to $1, Seat 2 calls $1, 1 fold, Seat 4 calls $1, Mystery calls $1, His Majesty, King Whale raises to $1.50, Solid caps at $2, 2 folds, Q8offsuit calls $1, Seat 2 calls $1, Seat 4 calls $1, Mystery calls $1, His Majesty, King Whale calls $0.50.

FLOP [board 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Q8offsuit checks, Seat 2 bets $0.50, Seat 4 folds, Mystery raises to $1, His Majesty, King Whale calls $1, Solid calls $1, Q8offsuit folds, Seat 2 calls $0.50.

TURN [board 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Seat 2 checks, Mystery checks, His Majesty, King Whale checks, Solid checks.

RIVER [board 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Seat 2 checks, Mystery checks, His Majesty, King Whale checks, Solid bets $1, Seat 2 folds, Mystery calls $1, His Majesty, King Whale folds.

SHOWDOWN
Solid shows [ A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
Mystery shows [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
Mystery wins $17.85.

SUMMARY
Dealer: Solid
Pot: $18.75 | Rake: $0.90
Q8offsuit loses $2
Seat 2 loses $3
Seat 4 loses $2
Mystery bets $4, collects $17.85, net $13.85
His Majesty, King Whale loses $3
Solid loses $4

Hit my set on the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Eights would have won anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Brutal 88 hand

Not sure I would raise 88 UTG +1 PF. Anyway though I'm inclined to bet out the flop and call a raise and see the turn you know. Bleh I dunno lol

-Sent
Old 08-18-2004, 04:03 PM

I'd limp with the 8's out of position pre-flop, bet the flop as it's still likely you have the best hand. Bet->Cap the turn, Bet-Cap the river.

-d
Old 08-18-2004, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd limp with the 8's out of position pre-flop, bet the flop as it's still likely you have the best hand. Bet->Cap the turn, Bet-Cap the river.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

You would play this that aggressively? You don't think that I'd get to see AA-99 here pretty darn often, or even a small set?

I'm trying to make the move from weak-tight to tight-aggressive, but is jamming 88 here, capping two streets against a pre-flop capper really a good idea?
Old 08-18-2004, 04:18 PM

Never mind. You meant capping the turn and river after I would have hit my set, not with just an overpair to the flop. My Bad. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 PM

Hi-
Preflop:
I would limp this in early position.
Having raised as you did, I wouldn't call 2 when it's capped, especially if the capper is as solid as you say. Is that wrong? If you were in late position, and the same good player open-raised, would you call 2 cold with 88? Now that I think about it, is 88 good enough to call 2 with?

Flop:
I don't understand why people are saying to bet out. Is Hero's hand "likely" best against a cap preflop from a solid player? I'd probably check the flop and play it as you had and get mighty pissed when the 8 fell on the turn.

-t
Old 08-18-2004, 05:04 PM

Never played at pokerroom, but in a lot of micro games a preflop cap means that someone has a high ace and someone else says "eh, why not?" That having been said...

Preflop
i would not have raised with the eights pf, merely limped. I think you are actually getting 16.5:2 when it comes back to you. This isnt a bad call, especially with the implied odds. But, you are hoping to make a set, a draw, or have a highly ragged flop.

Flop:
Ta Da!!! Jesus loves you. Wait, you check...erm,,, i would at least bet this out. You at least admit that you are trying to excorsize the demon of passsive play. Thats the first step. Bet, then see what happens when it comes back to you. However, one important thing to keep in mind is that this pot is HUGE, and everyone seems to like their hand. I think, even if i strongly suspected someone had AA, i would try to peel one off and make my set, with the knowledge that i could still have the best hand.

Turn.
Irrelevant, but this is jesus punishing you for weak play. Or showing you that he still loves you. either one.

River.
See above

Getting married to pocket pairs is a problem for a lot of player, and a good one to avoid. However, this flop is near ideal for your hand, and you are playing at limits where your competition is (hopefully) weak enough that you probably have the best hand.

Welcome aboard.

peace

john nickle
Old 08-18-2004, 05:07 PM

Hum, i did just see that hero could make his set by completing someone elses flush draw. That would make me less likely to go to the turn,, but im still down.

Also. When eating dubious mexican food for lunch, it is always a good idea to drink at least 2 strong 64oz margaritas. I had three for good measure.

Caveat Emptor

peace

john nickle
Old 08-18-2004, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hum, i did just see that hero could make his set by completing someone elses flush draw. That would make me less likely to go to the turn,, but im still down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, he had 1 clean out for the set, then 1/4 of an out for the 8s/redraw. Ew.

-d