Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Successful Case-Hunting...How-To?

This hand came up in a 40-player, 4-table NL home tourney. This was the last hand before the 9-person final table, so there were 9 left. The blinds are 100/200, no ante. I have T6000; the other player, seated immediately to my left, T2500.

I get dealt KK in the SB. Folded around to me, I raise to T600, player calls in the BB.

Flop comes JJJ.

Righht now, there are only two hands that beat me...AA, and the case Jack. This player is a tight, average player...not excessively passive or aggressive, but fairly straightforward. If he had AA, he would have went over the top of me preflop, especially with me making a "steal the blinds" sized raise with my KK. So, I can rule out AA here.

I check, BB bets T300 (?), I raise him All-In, and he calls immediately and, of course, turns over not just ANY Jack, but KJ, which has me completely dead.

Now, my question is this: If I was holding, say, A6s, I wouldn't be as concerned about looking for the case Jack, as I would be folding the minute he breathed in the general direction of this flop. But, in a situation where ONLY the case Jack beats you, what are some things to look for, to minimize your losses when he does have it, maximize your profits when he doesn't, without looking for monsters under the bed?

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Successful Case-Hunting...How-To?

tough break. whenever i have top pair against a board with a pair on it i'm always happy when the 3rd rank comes out. for one it's very unlikely he has the case one, and second if he does you were already beat anyways.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:56 PM

Default BUMP n/m

n/m
Old 08-18-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Successful Case-Hunting...How-To?

This would be a very tough fold to make. Unless you somehow get a very obvious tell, you are going to lose your money in this hand. The only way I can see you folding is if you call his bet, an ace hits on the turn, and then you fold.