Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 08:49 PM

Default Dealing with the swing that breaks tthe bank

Wow, today sucked.

I started my online poker playing about two months ago. Not too well versed in the game I spent a good month just playing the free money games on Party, watching it on TV, and reading a few good books.

Then I felt that I could make a little money in the cash games, so I bought in for $100 at Party, cleared my free chipset, all was going well. I was up $30 and got my $25 bonus so I was more then overjoyed.

Then I started losing.
And losing.
and losing.

Playing stupid hands and just bad luck broke me out, I reloaded for $50 and went after it.

Then I started winning
and winning.
and winning.

All the way up to yesterday, when I peaked at about $230. I had even been playing 2-3 nights a week in a home game, and winning anywhere between 20-50 a night ($10 buy in).

So I felt pretty confident in my skills. No, I wasn't ready for the WSoP just yet, but I felt that I could beat the NL25 6max's.

And here I am today, with .24 left in my account.

Yup. about $250 down the drain today on the worst beats I've ever had in my life (they're probably common, but I think I've angered someone up above in poker land)

I start off today and on about the 12th hand, I look down and find out that it's Christmas in August, AA. I raise it and get 2 other callers. Flop comes, Ad,6s,9h. I'm looking like the cat who ate the canary at this point. We check around to 4th street, 2s. I bet the pot ($5) and the guy to my left moves in for about $40. I quickly call him and lean back with the biggest smile on my face you can imagine.

8h on the river. He flips 7,10.

I fall out of chair. I might be a novice at poker but moving in with a gut straight draw just seems like a bad play. Who knows.

About an hour later I've worked back up to around $60, and same situation occurs while I'm holding kings. I flop a set, he moves in on me and draws his straight.

I'm pretty furious at this point. I've lost around $100 to these damn straights.

I rebuy and start to build it back up. About 30 mins into my 3rd rebuy for 25, I flop a straight. He moves, I call. Guess what, 2 spades on 4th and 5th gives him a flush.

What the hell am I doing wrong here?!

Down $75 all together, about 200ish from the winnings I had going into each hand.

I decide it's time to take a break, I go and get some food, have a nice lunch, and decide to try some SnG's to change up the setting.

Finish 5th in both SnG's, busted when my jacks met his kings and when my aces met his set.

So it's back to the ring games. I catch a flush, move in after he reraises. Oh [censored] you don't say, draw a straight flush? Yup.

I'm beggining to hate poker at this point.

Rebuy again, and lose it on tilting. I go and take a shower, watch some tv, and come back promising to play good poker and not to retilt.

Which brings me to my last rebuy. We both had sets of aces, with my jack to his king.

Tough luck eh?

Is this normal? Should I even consider redepositing? How do you all deal with the swings like this?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:53 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Dealing with the swing that breaks tthe bank

you have learned the importance in having a bankroll
Old 08-17-2004, 08:56 PM

How big of a bankroll should I have?

I thought of swings as the little down 30-50 hits I'd get every now and then, but would pull to even or up by the end of the night or the next day.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:01 PM

These hands are normal, and I see similar ones almost daily, although the guy trying to buy the pot with his gutshot & hitting it is a true maniac.
Make a note on him, and sit in on games he frequents.

Your title says it all, you just have to learn to "deal" with it, and sthief is right, you must have an adequate Bankroll to survive the inherent swings in the game.

Take a break for a few days then redposit atleast 15X the buy in for NL, and give it another shot.
If you deposit just $50 or $100 or something you'll most likely lose it all.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:03 PM

If you are going to play NL, I have heard that you need to be able to go "back to the bank" at LEAST 10 times. And that is for a single game. So $250, for a single session of $25 NL -- for playing it as your main game? I am not sure...$2500 seems a bit much, but then again...you can lose a nice sum, just as you did, if the cards fall just right...so maybe that is not that far off. Anyone else? Am I off here?
Old 08-17-2004, 09:09 PM

Well, I really don't have around 400 bones to commit to poker right now, so I guess i'm out of online for now.

College starts up in a week though, so maybe I can find a decent ring game up there and start re-building my bankroll.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:13 PM

A NL Bankroll should be about 10-15 times the Buy in you play at.

So somewhere between $250-$400 would be alright. Of course, for someone who is a losing playing, no amount would be enough. (not saying that you are).
Old 08-17-2004, 10:21 PM

100 buyins seems a little steep, but 10 is way too low. MsSunshine posted something about having a couple 20 buyin slides a year, and he isn't too bad.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:48 PM

I agree with what the others said - there's just a lot of variance (fancy word for luck) in poker. Especially in no limit, and especially at Party Poker.

If someone goes all-in against you with his gut shot against your set, there's just not much you can do about that. (Except hope it happens more often.)

I don't think you need a $2500 bankroll, though. $250-400 should be fine.

Hey, and what about that chip set?

What did you have to do to get it, and how long before it arrives?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:44 PM

Hey, and what about that chip set?

What did you have to do to get it, and how long before it arrives?

[/ QUOTE ]

300 piece 11.5 gram chips, alluminum case and all. Deposit $100 and play 275 raked hands (took a few hours folding anything except premo's at 1/2)

Recieved about 4 days after I confirmed, check it out at www.pokersourceonline.com